title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

So, I gave beta7 a go and I can confirm that the problem with recognizing some discs is gone. I ripped 20 CDs and tried the discs the app didn't recognize before. All worked well.

Now I'm beginning to be really happy with the app and the last remaining complaints are basically to do with how to interact with the app

UI:
    - I find it frustrating that I can't use tab to move between elements when modifying the tags for artist, album, etc.
    - I don't understand why editing the settings/profiles is not allowed unless there is a CD in the drive

Tagging:
    - I would still really like to see a metadata import from discogs
    - Would be great if I could select that spaces would be replaced by underscores or %20 in the file names
    - A more powerful tools for tagging would be great (like... capitalize the first letter of every word, etc.)

Looking good.

I've been thinking. DBP has a verification feature, to make sure that the end file is 100% identical to the original file. How come all converters/rippers don't have this thing?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
    I've been thinking. DBP has a verification feature, to make sure that the end file is 100% identical to the original file. How come all converters/rippers don't have this thing?
    because programs like dbpa and EAC are written by professionals who care deeply about bit perfect digitial audio reproduction/creation. Others are not evidently. Keep in mind that the dbpa creator, Spoon, also created the ACCURATERIP database check system (used by dbpa, EAC, cuetools, and others). This particular innovation is likely the most important tool ever created in the world of determining bitperfect rips.

shorter answer: There's a lot of crap produced out in the world in most products, and a lot of consumers who buy crap because they don't know/care.

So excited to see a Mac OS X version coming soon. Will help out with testing

I moved to Mac OS X a while back and had to use WINE/VM because all of the alternative Mac software for ripping/encoding/etc were completely inferior, which is a pretty rare thing on the Mac. There are programs for everything else that are great, but audio software seems to be a sour point on OS X (good tagging software seems to be non-existent.)

So, thank you. I will be purchasing this as soon as it is available and look forward to testing R1

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    because programs like dbpa and EAC are written by professionals who care deeply about bit perfect digitial audio reproduction/creation. Others are not evidently. Keep in mind that the dbpa creator, Spoon, also created the ACCURATERIP database check system (used by dbpa, EAC, cuetools, and others). This particular innovation is likely the most important tool ever created in the world of determining bitperfect rips.

shorter answer: There's a lot of crap produced out in the world in most products, and a lot of consumers who buy crap because they don't know/care.
    I think one such program is not crap. It's called xACT, and, aside from this magical feature, it is a fantastic free converter. The end result always sounds identical, if the format is the same (cause AIFF and ALAC stuff). If the feature was added, along with a better CD ripper, it would be quite a competition for DBPA.

[QUOTE=bscottx;149138]good tagging software seems to be non-existent./QUOTE]
    This is slightly offtopic, but I've noticed the same. There is a (slightly unstable, but useable) port of the best Linux tagger easytag though:
    http://rfw.name/easytag-mac/

Re: dBpoweramp for Apple OS X?

Hi Spoon,

Have installed on my iMac (Mavericks 10.9.5 24GB RAM). Am experience Mac user (and Unix & Database Development/Design) for over 20 years. Have been using dbPowerAmp running through Parallels/Bootcamp on Mac for 12 months now. Don't like XLD.

I have only tried the CD Ripper so far and that seems to be working and ripping extremely quickly - making good use of multi core CPU resource.

Couple of questions/comments:
    1. Copy & Paste quick keys on Mac (Cmd C, Cmd V etc) appear not to be working eg. for pasting values into tag /options fields.
    2. Hitting the review meta-data button you don't see internet lookups of AMG, Freedb etc as side by side comparison like Windows version enabling you to choose which value you want per track etc. This I find invaluable for getting Metadata right. Is this not working or do I have to enable it somewhere (couldn't find anything in preferences or Meta / Options DropDown)
    3. Log window at end is not displaying all data - truncating at 80 char line length I'm guessing - yet if you paste into text file you will see full data. Eg. the filenames are truncated on display if exceeding line width
    4. Just ripped a CD in Windows, then ripped in Mac. It found the same cover art however it selected a smaller resolution on Mac than on Windows as default (i have preference set to 1000 x 1000 on both). On Windows it chose a 1000dpi file, on Mac it chose at 750dpi file. Again am I missing something here?
    5. Overall - the look and feel looks a bit dated and "old OSX" rather than current. As others have commented - Icon are ugly. No sleek gun-metal appearance like current OSX. Not sure what Yosemite is going to do appearance wise but assume you are looking at this already?

This feedback is only from spending one hour so far on the product. Happy to assist whenever I can.

Cheers
    Tim (kasters)

There's an app called MAX that's a good ripper, or XLD. I use both for ripping and encoding to FLAC. What I really need for work is a good batch encoder for multiple formats. In the 'professional' world, there's a program called BarbaBatch from AudioEase http://www.audioease.com/Pages/BarbaBatch/. It has GREAT SRC as well as format conversion, but no FLAC.

Since I'm in the broadcast/recording studio world, we haven't needed FLAC for distribution, and BarbaBatch has worked great. However, I have been running dBpoweramp on our Macs using Parallels/Windows XP for multiple conversions to MP3, WMA and Real (client specific choices) and it works GREAT! I'm very excited to, FINALLY, have another option for Macs.

As far as tagging software, take a look at YATE from 2manyrobots http://2manyrobots.com/yate/. It tags almost anything.

In Music Converter, when selecting files to convert, the usual Mac keyboard shortcut for selecting all files (Cmd-A) does not seem to work. Using Version 1.0 beta 7 (1).

So glad to hear that you will provide dBpoweramp for Mac!

I moved to Mac 4 years ago, and dBpoweramp was the only program I missed on Mac. So I also have already installed the beta.

Could it be, that there is a problem with CD Text? No chance to read the CD Text of CDs, I've tried it with several CDs.

Cheers
    Tom

Hi Spoon,

Firstly, fantastic to try the Mac beta CD Ripper. Saves awkward decisions about replacing Windows XP on my Mac, hooray! Very similar situation to Tim, i think.

1. Overall impression is it is much faster - it is much faster!.

2. It took me a while to sort out the path to my NAS and filenames, but got there in the end through trial and error. Agree with Tim re copy/paste quick keys not working - this made setting up multi encoder a bit of a chore, but now it's done.

3. Would be helpful if it ran without having to insert an audio CD, then i could setup encoders etc. without having to feed it a CD.

4. I agree that it does look and feel a little dated, but hey... however, you know what Mac users are like.

5. When setting up naming it would be helpful if the elements were inserted at the position of the cursor, rather than added on the end of the list, but once naming is setup I don't have to do it again so this is now less relevant.

6. If i resize the metadata review screen it would be helpful if it stayed that size rather than jump back to the size of the ripping screen, but the answer is to resize the ripping screen, not a big problem but it's little details like this that your Mac users will pick up on.

7. The fact that i don't have to run Parallels and XP is a joy!

Great stuff! Looking forward to further developments.

Tommay

I just installed dbPoweramp for OSX on my first generation Mac Pro running OSX 10.7.5 and dbPoweramp crashes when I open the app.

Same issue as Bubamike....OSX 10.7.5 2X2.66 6 core intel Zeon 8gb ram and dbPoweramp crashes when i open amp. Thanks!

Loaded on my Imac running 10.9.4

Administrator

OS X 10.7 is not supported, only Mountain lion and newer.