title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Administrator

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter OS X Discussions

Ripping to which audio format?

I'm ripping to Apple Lossless.

Quote Originally Posted by Songs72K View Post
    Also, if I click on the "Review Metadata" button and change some of the Song-title fields, they look as I want them to be in that "review" window. But after I click the "okay" button, my changes do not show up in the main CD-ripping window.
    Just to be complete I should add that when I rip the songs, the files end up with the titles which are showing in the CD-ripping screen, not the values as I modified them in the "Review metadata" screen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
    I have a few questions left before this thing gets finished and released. But I'd rather ask one at a time.

How is the FLAC/iTunes thing going? Is Apple persuaded?
    Not yet tried it (I use uPnP streaming), but as far as I know, Fluke, Amarra, PureMusic and Audirvana are add-ons/software, that can play back flac via iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdr View Post
    Not yet tried it (I use uPnP streaming), but as far as I know, Fluke, Amarra, PureMusic and Audirvana are add-ons/software, that can play back flac via iTunes.
    If only that worked with the iPod... or if someone made Foobar2000 for Apple OS... All the people who care should just write to Apple about FLAC. If they get a million emails, they will have to do something. What are people afraid of??

Administrator

Songs72K:

'/' in an m4a tag is used to separate multiple items, for example:

Artist1/Artist2

however this value is also used where it is not to seperate multiple items, such as AC/DC

if you want to store as multiples then enter into cd ripper:

Pop; Rock

and it will be written as Pop/Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Songs72K:

'/' in an m4a tag is used to separate multiple items, for example:

Artist1/Artist2

however this value is also used where it is not to seperate multiple items, such as AC/DC

if you want to store as multiples then enter into cd ripper:

Pop; Rock

and it will be written as Pop/Rock
    Hmm. I have deliberately avoided the various metadata services before this (*), so maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I use the CD ripper and insert a CD. For some CD's it fills in the "Genre" field as "Pop/Rock". Based on your comment, I assume they mean: File this music under both the "Pop" and "Rock" genres. That's fine with me, so I leave it like that. I am not typing in the value.

I then rip the CD, and the music shows up in iTunes as the single genre of "Pop\Rock". Is that a bug in how iTunes is handling the field? The more I look at it, the more this seems likely. Within iTunes I tried several ways to separate the two genres, and iTunes always displays the music as being in a single genre which has both words in the value. If that's the case, I'll just adjust the values for that field so it will do what I want in iTunes.

(* - the last time I tried the metadata services was at least 10 years ago, and the data was so bad that it just got me upset. It'd take me more time to fix the mistakes in the data than it did to just type it all in by myself. With this application I see that data has improved quite a bit since the last time I checked!)

Quote Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
    All the people who care should just write to Apple about FLAC. If they get a million emails, they will have to do something. What are people afraid of??
    I very much doubt Apple will add support for FLAC. A few years ago I saw Steve Jobs asked about FLAC at the end of some meeting (I think it was some stock-holders group, but am not sure of that). He said there was nothing technically wrong with FLAC, but that FLAC included some proprietary IP which was not licensed. He claimed that if Apple supported FLAC, then they would be a very tempting target for a lawsuit over the IP. This off-the-cuff answer after a meeting was before Apple had released the specs to apple lossless (see http://alac.macosforge.org and the first paragraph of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless ), so at the time I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

Now that ALAC is open source, there really isn't much reason for Apple to support FLAC, assuming they still expect they could attract a lawsuit by doing so. I'm not a big follower of Microsoft stuff, but a quick google search suggests that Microsoft also does not support FLAC. I suspect that it's easier to write plug-ins for Windows, but Microsoft itself does not seem to support it. This adds some credibility to the idea that there might be some proprietary IP in it.

NOTE: I am not well-versed in audio formats or whatever IP there is around such formats, so obviously I am doing nothing more but relaying what Steve Jobs said to a question. However, if what he said is believed by Apple, then I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll see Apple include FLAC support in their products. I also doubt that you could get a million emails about FLAC, because I doubt there are a million people who care enough about FLAC support to bother writing. Apple is selling billions of music tracks at 256K AAC, and there aren't all that many people outraged about that. As long as apple supports some lossless audio format, I don't see there is much pressure for them to also support FLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Songs72K View Post
    I very much doubt Apple will add support for FLAC. A few years ago I saw Steve Jobs asked about FLAC at the end of some meeting (I think it was some stock-holders group, but am not sure of that). He said there was nothing technically wrong with FLAC, but that FLAC included some proprietary IP which was not licensed. He claimed that if Apple supported FLAC, then they would be a very tempting target for a lawsuit over the IP. This off-the-cuff answer after a meeting was before Apple had released the specs to apple lossless (see http://alac.macosforge.org and the first paragraph of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless ), so at the time I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

Now that ALAC is open source, there really isn't much reason for Apple to support FLAC, assuming they still expect they could attract a lawsuit by doing so. I'm not a big follower of Microsoft stuff, but a quick google search suggests that Microsoft also does not support FLAC. I suspect that it's easier to write plug-ins for Windows, but Microsoft itself does not seem to support it. This adds some credibility to the idea that there might be some proprietary IP in it.

NOTE: I am not well-versed in audio formats or whatever IP there is around such formats, so obviously I am doing nothing more but relaying what Steve Jobs said to a question. However, if what he said is believed by Apple, then I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll see Apple include FLAC support in their products. I also doubt that you could get a million emails about FLAC, because I doubt there are a million people who care enough about FLAC support to bother writing. Apple is selling billions of music tracks at 256K AAC, and there aren't all that many people outraged about that. As long as apple supports some lossless audio format, I don't see there is much pressure for them to also support FLAC.
    I feel like a kid in the 90s, who's into dinosaurs, after reading a book that tells you everything about dinosaurs. That was incredibly informative, and now I'm... incredibly satisfied.

I see now, that there are only two options left:
    1) Apple should fix ALAC, removing the reason for its inaccurate sound reproduction (it downplays some frequencies, resulting in cold sound, instead of warm)
    2) Somebody should port Foobar2000 to Mac, or some other open-source, independent player.

Speaking of things, a good solution would be using one of those mentioned plug-ins (provided they work at all) to play the FLAC files in iTunes, and convert them to AAC when syncing them to the iPod (which will not support the plug-in).

P.S. I still don't get it. If FLAC is free and open source, how could ANYONE sue Apple over using it? It's like suing someone for downloading music for free, when the music in question was posted for free download by the artist (provided the record company allows). That is stupid.

Administrator

1) ALAC is lossless, it does not have inaccurate sound reproduction, it decodes 100% identical to the source 100% of the time.

Hello,

here are some small details that could get changed for the CD Ripper:
    - Once you give a ripping profile a name, you cann't change it anymore. (Or at least I didn't find this option.)
    - .dmg file: Most applications come with a link to the program file, so that you don't have to open a new finder window, and you just need to drag it over.
    - You could enable copy pasting in all the input lines, like in naming, title, composer, etc. For example, your sources for Metadata didn't have the CD J.S. Bach Sonates and Partitas BWV 1001-1006 by Amandine Beyer (ZZT 110902), but itunes had that information, so I could just copy paste it instead of typing everything out.
    - For the Naming, you could use more examples or at least one having a composer. I often like to put Composer/Artist/Album for my classical Cd's. In that dialog you could also add a refresh button, to see whether the code is correct. (In that line, where you generate the code, I would also add copy/ paste. )
    - In the main window, one cannot add any more colums of for example the composer.
    - You could link the standard menu Name of Program/Preferences with your Option button.
    - The Tag with track information of the .wav tracks that you rip, are not recognized by iTunes.

Thank you for developing this wonderful software for Mac

Greets,
    Charel

Quote Originally Posted by halo_td View Post
    Hello,

- The Tag with track information of the .wav tracks that you rip, are not recognized by iTunes.
    It's on the iTunes side. The player does not recognize WAV tags. You will have to manually re-tag them. But if you remove the files from the library, the tags will be forgotten again.

It seems as if the ripping process was VERY slow on my MacBook Pro Retina with Mavericks if I compare with my old computer with Windows XP. The encoding process is faster on the Mac than on the PC.
    Is it normal ?

Administrator

What is the shown ripping speed? What drive are you using on the mac?

I made a post a few days ago with a lot of text. There was so much, it went in for moderator approval. Can somebody please check my few days old post and approve it?