title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Embedded Artwork

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Funkoid
    • Apr 2014

Embedded Artwork

When ripping using CD ripper and converting to ALAC or FLAC does the size of the artwork I select matter at all? For instance if I select a file thats 1024x1024 is this resized to a compatible size and embedded into the ALAC or FLAC file, or does it simply just insert the original image?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Embedded Artwork

Art is never upscaled, only downscaled if too big.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Funkoid
      When ripping using CD ripper and converting to ALAC or FLAC does the size of the artwork I select matter at all? For instance if I select a file thats 1024x1024 is this resized to a compatible size and embedded into the ALAC or FLAC file, or does it simply just insert the original image?

Thanks
      It's a good idea to know the behavior of the players you expect to use. Very large images can cause slow load times in some streaming applications. If you have an idea what that threshold is (for any streaming players you use), you can set a size limit in dBp to keep image sizes manageable.

Comment

• Funkoid
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
        It's a good idea to know the behavior of the players you expect to use. Very large images can cause slow load times in some streaming applications. If you have an idea what that threshold is (for any streaming players you use), you can set a size limit in dBp to keep image sizes manageable.
        That's great to know thanks, it'll be primarily sonos and the sonos iPhone controller

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Funkoid
          That's great to know thanks, it'll be primarily sonos and the sonos iPhone controller
          In my experience, Sonos is indeed slow to load large images. And if they're too big, they won't load at all. If you try to keep your image files under ~250-320Kb and 750x750 resolution, they should be okay. The resolution can be higher than that as long as the file size doesn't exceed those limits, but there's not much point in doing that unless you also use a playback device that displays on a much larger screen. (The images are downscaled for iPhone controllers anyway.)

I also use primarily Sonos & iDevice controllers. When I'm selecting artwork, I shoot for a "sweet spot" of around 500x500 to 750x750 (the limit I have set in dBp), and a file size around 250Kb. These images always load quickly and look great on everything from the iPhone to the iPad to the desktop controllers on a variety of screen sizes.

Comment

Working...

]]>