title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: no stereo recording, help me!

Unhappy no stereo recording, help me!

hi I'm new,

anyway

I'm desperately trying to record some MC's from my stereo to my computer using db poweramp.
    I've got a cool cable connected to my headphones-plug on the stereo and to the line-in of my soundcard (a SB 64 PCI). Also got my headphones plugged into the line-out of the soundcard. As I play the cassette, it's stereo no prob (there's even a voice saying "if you're listening to this in stereo (R) this should be in the right ear and (L) this should be in the left ear"

Now I'm recording this MC using the auxiliary input plug-in, and it plays back in mono every time!!

help? PLEASE

fulgrim

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    I've got a cool cable connected to my headphones-plug on the stereo and to the line-in of my soundcard
    That should be from the line-out of your stereo to the line-in of your sound card. Your headphones should be plugged into your headphones jack.

Thumbs down

hmpf .. no line-out on my stereo ... only the heaphone-plug (= line-out, no?)
    must be a software problem, me thinks ... arrgh ...
    any ideas?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    That's very weird, there should be a line-out/audio-out somewhere on the back of the stereo :confused:

nope

nope the only other thing where you can stick a thing in :happy: is the "aux" - thingie (hey, I'm not a techie! :p ), which is a line-in - thingie.

But since I've got my headphones plugged into the soundcard and the playback is in working order, it couldn't be a hardware problem, could it?

well, any help is still greatly appreciated

thanks, mates!

Stefan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Oh I think I might know, just double check for me that it isn't that you have the cord in the mic jack on your sound card, those are mono and I have done it before :happy:

Apart from that, I have no more ideas or suggestions and would think that this is a program bug that is affecting you.

Thumbs down NOOOOOOOOOOO

noooo ... darn it ... it IS plugged into the line-in, not the mic-jack. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
    :vmad:

kay, well thanks for the help, mate; I'll go check it out further.

Stefan

Administrator
    Check you are using a stereo cable - the plug should have 3 distinct sections on the silver bit.

TrinitySoftware
    Check your codec settings (after pressing "Convert To").

If you have selected a mono format then you will get mono files....

Unfortunately, not all stereo systems have a line-out. The
    headphone socket usually gives sub-standard results, so
    I would look for a seperate good quality cassette deck with
    Line-In and Line-out connectors on the back. This will give
    much better sounding files.

Good luck,
    Daren.

Mike Canniff

Unhappy Poor Sound Quality on Aux Input

I am having the same problem that everything I record sounds like it is in mono. I have checked the various settings of quality and tried different codecs. The resulting property info on the mp3 (lame) file states it is stereo. I am running output from my tapedeck's line out (left and right jacks) using a radio shack cable that converts into a standard microphone jack. I am using the mic in on my Compaq laptop which is my only input option. Is it true that the mic may only be in mono? The converter cable does have the standard 2 black bands in the middle of the plug. Any suggestions???

QUOTE=Spoon]Check you are using a stereo cable - the plug should have 3 distinct sections on the silver bit.[/QUOTE]

Administrator
    The socket on the laptop might only be mono.