title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Regarding CD Imprint Artwork

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrcd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2012

Regarding CD Imprint Artwork

With as much advancement there has been all things PC and printers anyone have any idea why an end user product has not been introduced to create artwork on personal CD's that would be just as professional as any store bought CD? I remember the short lived Lightscribe but it was never in color and never looked good anyway.
  • Aussie Steve
    • May 2014

Re: Regarding CD Imprint Artwork

Originally posted by mrcd
    With as much advancement there has been all things PC and printers anyone have any idea why an end user product has not been introduced to create artwork on personal CD's that would be just as professional as any store bought CD? I remember the short lived Lightscribe but it was never in color and never looked good anyway.
    I have an Epson Stylus Photo TX710W which is known by other names like "Artisan" in other parts of the world. It's a desktop printer scanner but rather than use the basic inks, it uses Epson "Claria" inks which have some special qualities in particular the ability to print directly onto CDs and dry within seconds. The machine has an automated CD tray that pops out above the paper tray that you place a blank white or silver faced CD or DVD that is suitable for inkjet printing (Verbatims have proven to be the best by far), load up the supplied Epson CD label software and create the artwork you want, click print and within 30 seconds or so out pops a printed CD/DVD that looks as good or even better than commercial discs.

There is also a function to place an original disc on the scanner and copy directly from the original label onto the blank like a colour photocopier but for discs. It is so simple a blond Aussie like me can use it! A word of warning though - do not try to use cheap substitute inks; not only do they run everywhere and smear unlike the genuine inks that are dry to touch within minutes, the clone inks fade quickly and seem to create contrast blotches. The model of the Epson printer doesn't really matter, just make sure it uses the Claria ink range and is listed as having "CD printing" in the advertising blurb and you'll be happier than a rat with a gold tooth. It makes Lightscribe look prehistoric. The bundled editing software lets you preview on the screen how it will come out including allowance for the non-printable area where the centre hole is that can be adjusted to suit the printable surface area on the blanks you are using. Verbatim makes special white surface discs that have the printable label area go all the way to the hole edge whereas the standard spindle discs in department stores usually have a clear unprintable band around the centre hole. The ones you want are often referred to as "Hub printable". Here's the ones I use with brilliant results...

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...

]]>