title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Files Not in iTunes Library

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: Files Not in iTunes Library

When you navigate (in Finder) to the /Volumes/mach2 Music external drive, do you find the folder structure "iTunes/iTunes Media?"

Comment

• rogerdn
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
      No, it's okay....more detail is better!

I think I get it....you used to do multi-encoder rips, with one copy (AIFF) going to the external drive on your Mac Mini and a FLAC back-up staying on your laptop. You would run a software player on the Mac Mini, using the AIFF files as the source library. Good so far?

YES !

A couple questions:
      1) Just to clarify your recent change....you stopped sending your archive FLAC files to the laptop's 2nd HDD and started sending them to a new NAS on your network? This change, so far as dBp Multi-Encoder is concerned, didn't change anything with the AIFF files? They still go to an external drive attached to the Mac Mini? And Finder confirms that they are indeed going there?

YES to all.

2) I'm not clear how iTunes fits into this scenario. Are you actually using iTunes....the player program....at all?

Well iTunes is not actually playing, as I understand it's somehow only using the library. Most audiophiles think the sound quality is inferior compared to these other players, actually it's easy to hear.

Or is it that the Amarra player uses the iTunes library location by default and we're inferring that new rips aren't "in iTunes" because they're not showing up on the Amarra interface (even though you know they're physically there)?
      For this I don't know the answer because I don't understand how they interface. However if I open just iTunes, ie, not any of the other players, these same files are still missing. I have contacted the Amarra people and they feel it is not an Amarra issue but I should probably contact Pure Music too.

Thks again for your replies.

Comment

• rogerdn
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2011

When you navigate (in Finder) to the /Volumes/mach2 Music external drive, do you find the folder structure "iTunes/iTunes Media?"
        Just saw this post, I will check.

Comment

• rogerdn
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2011

No there isn't but there is an 'Automatically Add To ITunes' folder with a 2010 date, probably when I started computer audio ripping.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rogerdn
            No there isn't but there is an 'Automatically Add To ITunes' folder with a 2010 date, probably when I started computer audio ripping.
            Okay....so it's just sitting there amongst the other folders on that drive. Here's what I suggest you try:
            • Close both iTunes and Amarra.
            • In dBp Multi-Encoder, set the PATH for the AIFF files specifically to that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder on the external drive.
            • Rip a CD (or even just a couple files).
            • Before you open iTunes or Amarra, confirm in Finder that the newly ripped files are in that folder. (Note that it's possible they'll disappear if iTunes is set to be running in the background, so don't panic.)
            • Open iTunes and see if the new rip is in there. If it is, I think you've resolved the issue.

As for how Amarra and iTunes interface, there would be two options. It physically scans the same library location that iTunes does, or it literally uses the iTunes database index files (iTunes Library.xml). I don't use Amarra, so I've never explored the connection. Anyway, if the above steps don't work, I'd start to think the iTunes library files are corrupt. (That doesn't mean your music is....just the "index" uses to access your music.) There are solutions for that, but wait to cross that bridge if you reach it.

Comment

• rogerdn
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2011

Okay....so it's just sitting there amongst the other folders on that drive. Here's what I suggest you try:
              • Close both iTunes and Amarra.
              • In dBp Multi-Encoder, set the PATH for the AIFF files specifically to that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder on the external drive.
              • Rip a CD (or even just a couple files).
              • Before you open iTunes or Amarra, confirm in Finder that the newly ripped files are in that folder. (Note that it's possible they'll disappear if iTunes is set to be running in the background, so don't panic.)
              • Open iTunes and see if the new rip is in there. If it is, I think you've resolved the issue.

As for how Amarra and iTunes interface, there would be two options. It physically scans the same library location that iTunes does, or it literally uses the iTunes database index files (iTunes Library.xml). I don't use Amarra, so I've never explored the connection. Anyway, if the above steps don't work, I'd start to think the iTunes library files are corrupt. (That doesn't mean your music is....just the "index" uses to access your music.) There are solutions for that, but wait to cross that bridge if you reach it.
              Well I ripped to the Auto Add file in dBPA and it does show in Finder in that folder BUT still not in iTunes. Guess I will contact Pure Music, they are usually helpful. The thing about the Auto Add folder is none of my other several hundred old albums are in this folder and they all still play, this is just a recent change, but was certainly worth a try, thks.

Comment

• rogerdn
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Mar 2011

I attached a drive to my Mini and was able to rip three albums successfully, ie, they are in my iTunes library and playable, so the problem is with my dBPA set up. Think I will try reinstalling it.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

I attached a drive to my Mini and was able to rip three albums successfully, ie, they are in my iTunes library and playable, so the problem is with my dBPA set up. Think I will try reinstalling it.
                  That's because iTunes will always save its own rips to its own library. Unlike the issue with dBp, where you need to tell it the file destination, iTunes already knows where it is. So I don't think the issue is so much dBp, per se, as it is confusion about where your iTunes library resides, or more specifically, where the functioning "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder is located.

Regarding your previous post.....remember, iTunes is supposed to grab anything anything it finds in that folder and move it. Hence, successfully added files should not be found there. The fact that files in the folder are not being added suggests it's the wrong "auto" destination. I suspect it's on the Mac Mini's main system drive. If you're willing to keep troubleshooting, I'd suggest you look for that folder.

Reinstalling dBp won't automatically fix this path/location problem. DBp only saves the files to the location you specify.....aside from letting it save to the default "My Music" location on the Windows computer it's installed on, it cannot make any determination about other network locations.
                  Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-27-2014, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2011

Okay, this was really bugging me! So I pulled out my dual-boot Mac, booted into "the Mac side" (which I hardly ever do), attached an external drive, and played with iTunes to figure out exactly where it puts everything (in the Mac universe). I think I've got a grip on it!

The "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder on the external drive must be corrupted....as that is indeed the one you should be using. (The original one on your Mac Mini system drive doesn't work when your iTunes library is set elsewhere.) How that happened is hard to say, but it's pretty easy to re-establish it. You need to do that first, then try again to send your AIFF rips to the folder. Here's how:
                    • On the Mac Mini, navigate to the external drive where you music is, and drag that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder into the trash. Yup...get rid of it completely.
                    • Open iTunes (on the Mac Mini)
                    • Go to Preferences > Advanced
                    • Uncheck to box to "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"
                    • Close the Preferences dialog box, then re-open it
                    • Check the box to "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"
                    • Close the Preferences dialog box.

iTunes will re-scan the music library, which can take awhile depending on how big it is. It will also create a new "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. Try a dBp rip again (sending the AIFFs to the new folder). Finally, go open iTunes on the Mac Mini. The new music should be there this time.

Comment

• rogerdn
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2011

That's because iTunes will always save its own rips to its own library. Unlike the issue with dBp, where you need to tell it the file destination, iTunes already knows where it is. So I don't think the issue is so much dBp, per se, as it is confusion about where your iTunes library resides, or more specifically, where the functioning "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder is located.

Agree

Regarding your previous post.....remember, iTunes is supposed to grab anything anything it finds in that folder and move it. Hence, successfully added files should not be found there. The fact that files in the folder are not being added suggests it's the wrong "auto" destination. I suspect it's on the Mac Mini's main system drive. If you're willing to keep troubleshooting, I'd suggest you look for that folder.

I understand your analysis but am not friendly enough with Macs to know what in 'the wrong "auto" destination. I suspect it's on the Mac Mini's main system drive' means or how to look for that folder.

Reinstalling dBp won't automatically fix this path/location problem. DBp only saves the files to the location you specify.....aside from letting it save to the default "My Music" location on the Windows computer it's installed on, it cannot make any determination about other network locations.
                      I would not hold out much hope for reinstalling but sometimes redoing something corrects a set up error.

Thks for the continued help.
                      Last edited by rogerdn; 04-27-2014, 01:54 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• rogerdn
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2011

Okay, this was really bugging me! So I pulled out my dual-boot Mac, booted into "the Mac side" (which I hardly ever do), attached an external drive, and played with iTunes to figure out exactly where it puts everything (in the Mac universe). I think I've got a grip on it!

The "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder on the external drive must be corrupted....as that is indeed the one you should be using. (The original one on your Mac Mini system drive doesn't work when your iTunes library is set elsewhere.) How that happened is hard to say, but it's pretty easy to re-establish it. You need to do that first, then try again to send your AIFF rips to the folder. Here's how:
                        • On the Mac Mini, navigate to the external drive where you music is, and drag that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder into the trash. Yup...get rid of it completely.

iTunes will re-scan the music library, which can take awhile depending on how big it is. It will also create a new "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. Try a dBp rip again (sending the AIFFs to the new folder). Finally, go open iTunes on the Mac Mini. The new music should be there this time.
                        I had not seen this post when doing my last obviously, will try this today when time. A corrupted Auto Add makes sense.

If I recall though the 'keep iTunes Media Folder Organized' is already unchecked because it's part of Pure Music set up, forget why. But let me confirm first.

Comment

• rogerdn
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2011

I am reluctant to report results as you have put so much time helping, but it is still not fixed. Seems all went well through deleting the old Add to and creating a new one, and it did the scan, but having tried several albums they just are not in iTunes, only in Finder. I tried both ripping to the Add to folder and just my Mach2 HHD folder, which is the dBPA config when I did first time set up years ago. Alas this is frustrating.

Out of desperation I think I will try reinstalling dBPA knowing it is not likely going help. And the NAS continues to rip ok btw. If you wish to throw in the towel I surely will understand.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2011

I am reluctant to report results as you have put so much time helping, but it is still not fixed. Seems all went well through deleting the old Add to and creating a new one, and it did the scan, but having tried several albums they just are not in iTunes, only in Finder. I tried both ripping to the Add to folder and just my Mach2 HHD folder, which is the dBPA config when I did first time set up years ago. Alas this is frustrating.

Out of desperation I think I will try reinstalling dBPA knowing it is not likely going help. And the NAS continues to rip ok btw. If you wish to throw in the towel I surely will understand.
                            I understand the desperation. (I actually get that way a lot when I try to navigate the Mac universe! I hate how it tries to make things "easier" by being so opaque.) But I honestly don't think this is a dBp issue....I believe it's the iTunes-Amarra-Pure Music configuration on your Mac Mini. All dBp can do is send the rips to wherever you tell it to....it has no control over what iTunes does or doesn't do with them after that.

I'm aware of the technical knocks on iTunes as a player, and therefore the desire for higher-quality options. But I think some combination of iTunes updates (which are sometimes known to render previous-version features non-functional), and/or your Amarra and Pure Music configurations has altered the library set-up on the Mac Mini. There's nothing you can do in dBp, particularly since you're using it on a completely different computer, that will identify or fix iTunes library issues over on the Mac.

I suggest you simplify your set-up. Choose one of those players and uninstall/de-activate the other one, and do a clean library set-up in iTunes. In other words, start with the basics, fixing from the bottom up: Those players integrate with iTunes (and may well change its settings and therefore confound each other), so get the iTunes configuration right first. Then move on to the player of your choice, re-installing if necessary, and get it set up correctly. Only then can you really know where you need send new music from the Windows computer.
                            Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• rogerdn
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2011

I understand the desperation. (I actually get that way a lot when I try to navigate the Mac universe! I hate how it tries to make things "easier" by being so opaque.) But I honestly don't think this is a dBp issue....I believe it's the iTunes-Amarra-Pure Music configuration on your Mac Mini. All dBp can do is send the rips to wherever you tell it to....it has no control over what iTunes does or doesn't do with them after that.

I'm aware of the technical knocks on iTunes as a player, and therefore the desire for higher-quality options. But I think some combination of iTunes updates (which are sometimes known to render previous-version features non-functional), and/or your Amarra and Pure Music configurations has altered the library set-up on the Mac Mini. There's nothing you can do in dBp, particularly since you're using it on a completely different computer, that will identify or fix iTunes library issues over on the Mac.

I suggest you simplify your set-up. Choose one of those players and uninstall/de-activate the other one, and do a clean library set-up in iTunes. In other words, start with the basics, fixing from the bottom up: Those players integrate with iTunes (and may well change its settings and therefore confound each other), so get the iTunes configuration right first. Then move on to the player of your choice, re-installing if necessary, and get it set up correctly. Only then can you really know where you need send new music from the Windows computer.
                              Since I cannot play iTunes as a stand alone player would that not suggest it is not associated with any of these players and just an iTunes issue ?

How would I do a clean library set up ? not sure what you mean.

I normally have just one player open, Amarra of late, you mean start by uninstalling all but Amarra ?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2011

iTunes can't play your music? What happens.....an error message?

Comment

Working...

]]>