title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Filename character replacement not working with multi encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iBeleave
    • Apr 2014

Filename character replacement not working with multi encoder

Recently updated, and find that the filename character replacement does not seem to work correctly if using the Multi Encoder. Filename character replacement works fine if using the default settings. OR if using a single encoder (mp3, wav etc). When I switch to the Multi Encoder, and use dynamic file naming, then my custom character replacement does not take effect. Specifically, I want the colon to be replaced with an underscore, not a semi-colon. If there is a colon in the album or track titles which are used to create the filename, the colon is replaced with a semicolon, but only in the Multi Encoder. When using a single encoder, the colon is replaced with an underscore in the filename like I have it set.

I have tried r14, R15 (64 bit and 32 bit) (with uninstalls and computer restarts in between) and the result is the same. I was previously using r11.5, which worked fine!

I have read at least 2 posts that say the same thing, but they either didn't get answered, or the answer was "it works for us". But it is not working for me, so I think there must be some specific circumstances involved for a few people.

I tried working around it by using DSP to rewrite the id3 tag characters, which DOES work. But then my id3 tags are messed up, so that is not an option.

This is important to me: dynamic filenames, correct character replacement, proper id3 tags, and multi encoding. They need to work together. If I cannot fix this I will have to go back to 11.5, which is pretty sad. Any ideas?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Filename character replacement not working with multi encoder

The character replacement is in CD Ripper, sadly this will not pass onto multi encoder and the design does not enable it to be passed onto it. R11.5 did not have a multi encoder, so you have the same now as with r11.5
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• iBeleave
      • Apr 2014

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will adjust my information:

I had dMC-r11.5-Registered which we purchased the registration for Sep 2006. This version came with dMC Audio CD Input (not cd ripper as now). The multiencoder was an additional download that I appear to have added in Nov 2006. With this combination, I was able (and still am able on my xp computer) to rip cd tracks to wav and mp3, with the character replacement working correctly for both files. It is disappointing to find that this doesn't work with newer versions. Perhaps I am missing something?

Additionally, I have not been able to get my old version to work correctly on Windows 8. The music converter works ok, but the audio cd input does not. I've been playing around with compatibility, but no go so far. I don't know yet if it will work on Windows 7 (which is what I really need), since that computer is not available to me today, so I'm just testing at home. If I can make the old version work on Win7, that will do. I only upgraded because I assumed that a newer version would be better quality? If anyone has any help here, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

R11.5 will not work in anything newer than XP.

I am not sure how the old multi encoder worked, it was over 10 years ago. There is the wishlist section of the forum, you will see no one has requested this in the years between R11 and R15.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• iBeleave
          • Apr 2014

Well, the fact is that it DID work, and now doesn't. That is too bad. Plus I have seen other people ask about it, even if it didn't make it to the "wish list".

I personally think that the capability is there, it is just buggy. Here is what I mean (and for those who need this, here is the result of my tests so far):

If I set the naming scheme BEFORE I choose the multiencoder, (for example, with mp3 selected), and then AFTER that choose the multiencoder and add whichever encoding I need (but don't set the naming inside the multiencoder settings), then the both the naming scheme AND the character replacement works correctly. This is almost a solution but not quite, because:

If I set the naming scheme first, but if it includes a folder, the folder setting is not applied in the multiencoder if a folder is specified in the multiencoder settings (the rest of the naming is applied, however) and the character replacement works correctly. For instance, I want to add the files to folders dynamically according to year. There are 2 ways to make that work with the multiencoder:
          1. within the multiencoder settings, choose "original folder" instead of specifying a folder. This then defaults to the settings made prior to choosing the multiencoder. The problem with this approach is that both files are then stored in the same year folder, instead of different folders by filetype, which is what I need (and have been doing).
          2. The other way is to use dynamic file name withing the multiencoder settings, which does then correctly place the files in the correct folders by year, but then I am back to the original problem with the character replacement, so also not an option for me.

I will also point out that character replacement IS happening, even from within the multiencoder. It is only the "custom" character replacement that is not working. Colons are replaced with semicolons, because of course colons are invalid. Those settings are coming from somewhere - I suppose hardcoded within the program, because I cannot find them, even in the registry.

So this may not be on a wishlist, but it is for these specific features that I have been using the program these past 8 years, and I am sorry to find that they are not working anymore. Kind of makes updating (and paying) a lose-lose situation for me.

Comment

Working...

]]>