title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What data is submitted to AMG and FreeDB?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

What data is submitted to AMG and FreeDB?

After correcting and adding metadata (tags) to FLAC files, we try to be good citizens and submit those corrections and changes to AMG and FreeDB. It's not clear if this really does anything useful because, especially in the case of AMG, the submission accepted response is so quick that I can't believe that our extensive additions to the tags are transmiitted to AMG or FreeDB.

Can you explain what is actually sent when one submits changes after adding tag information before ripping?

Thanks in advance...

"d2b"
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: What data is submitted to AMG and FreeDB?

The tags are submitted to both, it does not take much time to transmit 1kb, I am not sure if amg uses this info.

Comment

• Rudj
      • Jan 2009

I've the same question; in my case, I've submitted the change of a classical; so it take a long time to go line by line for adjusting complementary tags like Composer, Orchestra, and so on + put informations in;24hours later, freedb gave me the tags about the name of the title, but not the composer (there are multiple composers, because it's a selection of great Opera's interpretation), or Conductor, Orchestra,... Does it mean that freedb couldn't register fields of tags for compilation CDs ?
      Or maybe, the way I enter informations is no good ?!

Comment

• d2b
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Rudj
        I've the same question; in my case, I've submitted the change of a classical; so it take a long time to go line by line for adjusting complementary tags like Composer, Orchestra, and so on + put informations in;24hours later, freedb gave me the tags about the name of the title, but not the composer (there are multiple composers, because it's a selection of great Opera's interpretation), or Conductor, Orchestra,... Does it mean that freedb couldn't register fields of tags for compilation CDs ?
        Or maybe, the way I enter informations is no good ?!
        Not only is it not clear what tag information they actually receive, it's not even clear who or what receives it and what they or it chooses to do with it. As far as I can tell, these submissions go into a dark hole.

Given the wide variety of possible field names and the values assigned to them by countless users, it's no wonder that crowd-sourced metadata databases are generally only partially useful if not completely erroneous.

Gracenote seems to be pretty good but then the number if fields offered is ridiculously limited to just a few basic tags. One seldom learns anything about composers and never anything about the actual performers and their role on each track, let along the other important data about the album and the music...producer(s), copyright information, barcode, label, catalognumber, etc.

Dennis....aka "d2b"
        Last edited by d2b; 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Comment

• Rudj
          • Jan 2009

Thx, Denis
          This confirms opinion i've formed, after 10 years of using dBpoweramp. The product is just perfect, the databases are just...Well, Have You done your own database (ie:on excel, or another database tool) ? I'm seriously considering to create my own database on excel, in a first time, later on File Maker. I try to export and import Tags with Tag&Rename. Have you try this, to get perfect datas ?!

Comment

Working...

]]>