title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need recommendation for entering Sound Recording Copyright Symbol (p in a circle}

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

Need recommendation for entering Sound Recording Copyright Symbol (p in a circle}

We want/need to be able to easily include the Sound Recording Copyright Symbol in Vorbis comments when processing digital recordings in the FLAC file format and in other music formats, either when ripping or when processing file format conversions. It's easy enough to include the regular copyright symbol "©" but a common problem when publishing almost anything is to be able to include the "p in a circle" character in the same style and size as the © symbol. Platform is 64-bit Windows 7 Professional...if that matters. Our language is USA English.

Surely dBpoweramp figured this out a long time ago. What is the recommended method for adding this character in 25 words or less?

Thanks...

"d2b"
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Need recommendation for entering Sound Recording Copyright Symbol (p in a circle}

Hey there,

because of platform independency I would recommend to use "(C)" and "(P) instead of the special characters like "©". Those simple characters are part of the 7bit ASCII code, which can be displayed on nearly any platform, in any language and any charset you can imagine.

Dat Ei

Comment

• d2b
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2010

Re: Need recommendation for entering Sound Recording Copyright Symbol (p in a circle}

I understand the platform and character set issues but wonder why there isn't a simple solution for this. Your suggestion is sound, but are those variations univerally recognized throughout the music industry?

Credits on CDs utilize the two symbols, at least on all of the albums released in this country. Adding this information as metadata embedded in a music file is not just for our own use.

Thanks for your suggestion. It may be the only sane way to solve this problem.

"d2b"

Comment

• Michael Sargent
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2009

Can you tell me what the Unicode character value is for the (P) symbol? I can't find it in the Character Map.

For reference:

© can be entered by typing Alt+0169 (like this ©)
        ® can be entered by typing Alt+0174 (like this ®)

So if I can find a character to use for (P) I'm sure we can figure out an easy way to enter it.

Mike

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

The Unicode is 2117.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Michael Sargent
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2009

So the &*8471; character shows up in some fonts (Arial), but not all (Tahoma). I found this article that tells how to enter Unicode characters (http://www.fileformat.info/tip/micro...er_unicode.htm) but the first technique didn't work on my machine (Win7 x64). You may want to try some of the other methods. The author also has a utility that may help and a number of other references.

One of those references says that I need to reboot to make the first technique work. That's not in the cards right now, but I'll try to test when I next reboot.

Of course, the easiest thing might be to put the &*8471; symbol in a file and just copy it when you need to.

Mike

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

It this symbol is not present in all fonts, then it is a non-standard symbol and cannot be used universally.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Michael Sargent
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2009

I just rebooted, so the changes I mentioned above are now in effect. I can confirm the pressing Alt, + , 2117 will produce the &*8471; symbol (just did it).

As noted, it doesn't show up in all fonts, but this still may be useful for you.

Mike

Comment

Working...

]]>