title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Issues with adding / changing file tags

Issues with adding / changing file tags

I have been using version 13 for years with no issues.
    Recently I just upgraded to version 15.

I am not having frequent issues with trying to either add replay gain or cange tages with "Edit ID Tag".
    Many time all looks like it precess fine but either tages do not change or are not added.

this is happening on 2 different computers and I have tried to uninstall in re install.
    I have also tried with anti virius off.

the outcome is always the same.

The only way I can add or change the tags is to convert the file to a format such as flac. then after that I have no issues adding or making changes.

If I open the file with another tagging program I don't have any issues.

Any thoughts.
    mo

Administrator

Re: Issues with adding / changing file tags

You are manually adding the tags?

Yes..either adding or trying to delete certain tags.
    Right click on a file(flac) / properties / edit id tag/ delete a few tags. Click ok.
    Then when I look at the fill the tags are still there.
    Also happens when adding replaygain.
    I also notice the speed of adding the replay gain slows down.
    I get no errors but it usually doesn't add the proper replay gain tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please email one flac file, before the changes:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Hello Mr Spoon,
    Just checking in on these issues I am having.. just experienced another album of mp3 files that I cannot modify tags and add replay gain to.
    do you see any solutions?
    thx
    mo

too add to this issue I can tell when trying to add the gain tages that it is not going to work as the speed of encoding drops from 180 to 70 and there is a pause after each track.
    Also is a delay at the end of the process before it says finished?
    again the only way to be able to add the gain tags is to convert the format and add gain tag that way and that works every time???

Administrator

I am convinced something external is stopping the tag writing, perhaps you have anti-malware software, or anti phishing?

Well I don't think this is the case. it only happens to a small % of my files. not all them.
    I did a few more tests using the files I am having issues with. Same files I sent you Spoon.

PC*1 Vista 32bit with only AVG antivirus on it. I turned off antivirius and still couldn't write tags (I have run version 13 for years on this pc with none of these issues)
    PC*2 7 64 bit McAfee I experience the same issues with being unable to write / change tages on these files.

during both processes the convert speed decreased and I experienced pauses after each file..

mo

Administrator

And the files are held locally?

You see, there are 2 computers, different os, different security software, even the file types are different (some flac, some mp3), there is a possibility that there could be a bug in one of our tag writers (such as flac), but it is very improbable there would be the same bug in 2 different tag writers which write different ID Tag types.

I've run into this issue occasionally as well on a Windows 7 64-bit /w dBpowerAMP in 32-bit mode in Admin and User (locked-down) account mode. Haven't been able to isolate what's different about the .MP3/.FLAC file in question. And since it's so random, I figured it was something specific to my system ... good to read it's not just me.

I'm very specific on what I want in my ID Tags so I've had to revert back to my old (predictable) process of using MP3Gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/) and TagScanner (http://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm) to process ID Tagging. It re-introduces additional steps to my process - which I had hoped to eliminate - but I'm obtaining the level of comfort and control I want on my tags once again.

Regards,

correct the filed are held locally.

could it be the if a "undetermined" tag is existing in the file it causes the tag writer to have issues?
    basically I general writing issue?
    like is said before if I convert the file(for example) ...a flac to a different flac compression level the new file become editable...
    ???

Administrator

No, because the flac file that you could not tag, could be tagged by me.

I have no issue writing tags to this file when I use my usual tag and rename program "Tag&Rename"

I also had no issue when I was using the older version of dbpoweramp version 13.

have ripped 1400 cds and modified tages...necer an issue in 5 years.

I tried unstalling 15 and reinstalling 13 but now it doesn't work in writing tage to these certain files.

The only thing that has changed in my system is installing version 15

Administrator

Programs are self contained, if you uninstall R15 then it is gone, installing R13 gives you R13, not R13 + something of R15.

This proves that the issue is something else.