title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Creating folders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Number 7
    • Dec 2013

Creating folders

Is it possible to create a folder specifically for a particular genre, i.e. film soundtracks, and rip specific cds to that location?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Creating folders

You can set the genre to 'Soundtrack' then add:

[genre]\

into the naming string so a genre folder is created.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: Creating folders

Originally posted by Number 7
      Is it possible to create a folder specifically for a particular genre, i.e. film soundtracks, and rip specific cds to that location?
      Another approach....one that leaves less room for error....would be to create profiles for the genres for which you wish to create meta-folders. If you rely on the online databases for your genre info and employ dynamic folder creation (based on the online metadata), you're going to end up with dozens of genre folders, including redundancies like "Soundtrack," "Soundtracks" and "Movie", as well as things like "Pop-Rock" and "Pop Rock." Even if you try to always catch it and apply some consistent names prior to ripping, there are apt to be a few that slip through.

Assuming you want some manageable number of genre folders, you might consider creating a profile for each. The profile could accomplish several things at once: (1) apply the exact genre name you want, (2) customize the metadata any way you might want/need for that type of music, and (3) send the new rip to the exact folder location you want (by using specific, not dynamic, path info).

I did notice, by the way you phrased your question, that you seem to be suggesting that you want to manually create folders and then rip to them. Yes you can. You can certainly create those folders as desired (presumably as subfolders within your music library), but I think you'd still want to use profiles to ensure that your rips always go to them, accurately and consistently. For example, if you have a "Film Soundtracks" folder, you'd create a profile that sends all its rips to that folder, even if their genre deviates from that specific label.

Comment

Working...

]]>