title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Thread: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

  1. #61
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What OS is the Amazon Fire-Tablet?

    Do you plug the SD-Card into the PC, copy files to it and then plug into the Amazon Fire-Tablet?
    Mville,

    The Amazon Tablet is running on (latest): Fire 5.6.0.1

    Correct; I am wondering if, after the tablet has 'parsed' the FLACs, that, maybe, this very process is corrupting them?

    Incidentally, when I spoke to Amazon on Friday about getting a replacement SD-card I also asked them if it could be the Fire Tablet. They said all they could offer, in this regard, is a factory-reset of the device; which I don't really want to perform as the tablet is set-up to my liking (and I do not even know, yet, what the root cause is).

    Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-08-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

  2. #62
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    The Amazon Tablet is running on (latest): Fire 5.6.0.1

    Correct; I am wondering if, after the tablet has 'parsed' the FLACs, that, maybe, this very process is corrupting them?

    Incidentally, when I spoke to Amazon on Friday about getting a replacement SD-card I also asked them if it could be the Fire Tablet. They said all they could offer, in this regard, is a factory-reset of the device; which I don't really want to perform as the tablet is set-up to my liking (and I do not even know, yet, what the root cause is).
    My suspicions revolve around the Fire OS and/or Windows, corrupting the SD Card e.g. not using safely remove hardware wizard when removing the SD Card from your PC.

  3. #63
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    My suspicions revolve around the Fire OS and/or Windows, corrupting the SD Card e.g. not using safely remove hardware wizard when removing the SD Card from your PC.
    When I remove the SD-card from either my PC or Fire, I always do so when the devices are powered off. If I ever (now and again) need to remove the SD, then I wait for the: "safely remove device now" prompt.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-08-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

  4. #64
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    When I remove the SD-card from either my PC or Fire, I always do so when the devices are powered off. If I ever (now and again) need to remove the SD, then I wait for the: "safely remove device now" prompt.
    The safely remove hardware example was just one example of a potential cause of the corruption. I'm no expert when it comes to SD cards and mobile devices, but I've seen a few mobile devices especially android devices and support of SD cards, causing problems.

    You asked earlier:
    Any guesses as to what may have been the root cause, please? SD, MalwareBytes, Windoze, PerfTunes?. Well, this is my guess, but of course, it doesn't mean I'm right.

  5. #65
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    386

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    The Amazon Tablet is running on (latest): Fire 5.6.0.1 [...] I am wondering if, after the tablet has 'parsed' the FLACs, that, maybe, this very process is corrupting them?
    If it was corrupting the audio, the files wouldn't have subsequently passed Test Conversion.

    Perhaps the Fire tablet is changing non-audio data. Are the files on your PC the same size as those on the SD card?

  6. #66
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If it was corrupting the audio, the files wouldn't have subsequently passed Test Conversion.

    Perhaps the Fire tablet is changing non-audio data. Are the files on your PC the same size as those on the SD card?
    OK, Cheers JH.

    I will check your kind suggestion ...

  7. #67
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Here are the 'properties' of both the C-drive and SD-card:



    Unless my eyes deceive me, they do seem to look identical. But I could always run a 'binary comparison' again?

    Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-09-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: LINK

  8. #68
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Here are the 'properties' of both the C-drive and SD-card:

    Unless my eyes deceive me, they do seem to look identical. But I could always run a 'binary comparison' again?
    The file and folder counts are the same and the file sizes are the same. However, that doesn't mean the files are identical, due to metadata padding.

    But, haven't you reformatted the SD card, so currently there is no corruption?

  9. #69
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The file and folder counts are the same and the file sizes are the same. However, that doesn't mean the files are identical, due to metadata padding.

    But, haven't you reformatted the SD card, so currently there is no corruption?
    Hi mville,

    Yes, the SD was reformatted on Saturday.

    I was thinking of trying out putting it back into the Amazon Fire, letting it 'parse', then putting it back into the PC to see how it behaves. I know this may be pointless (as already comment on earlier), but it will definitely eliminate all possible angles undoubtedly.

    Paul

  10. #70
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Yes, the SD was reformatted on Saturday.

    I was thinking of trying out putting it back into the Amazon Fire, letting it 'parse', then putting it back into the PC to see how it behaves. I know this may be pointless (as already comment on earlier), but it will definitely eliminate all possible angles undoubtedly.
    What do you mean by letting it 'parse'?

  11. #71
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The file and folder counts are the same and the file sizes are the same. However, that doesn't mean the files are identical, due to metadata padding.

    But, haven't you reformatted the SD card, so currently there is no corruption?
    Mville,

    Just for the sake of doing so, I ran another 'binary scan' and the results indicate that all is 'identical':


    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-09-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: LINK

  12. #72
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What do you mean by letting it 'parse'?
    Mville,

    As I understand it, the term relates to when (say) a storage device is inserted into (say) a PC. If it contains new files (ie. of which the PC has not seen before), then the PC will scan/parse the (say) SD-card.

    For example, if I have new files (ie. FLACs) on the SD-card, when I insert it into the Amazon Fire, a message appears:

    "Please wait while the device is parsing ..."

    Then, when it has parsed/scanned/synced - call it what you will - I am able access the FLACs on the Amazon Fire.

    That's the gist of it anyway.

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-09-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

  13. #73
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    As I understand it, the term relates to when (say) a storage device is inserted into (say) a PC. If it contains new files (ie. of which the PC has not seen before), then the PC will scan/parse the (say) SD-card.

    For example, if I have new files (ie. FLACs) on the SD-card, when I insert it into the Amazon Fire, a message appears:
    "Please wait while the device is parsing ..."

    Then, when it has parsed/scanned/synced - call it what you will - I am able access the FLACs on the Amazon Fire.

    That's the gist of it anyway.
    Thanks, understood.

  14. #74
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Just for the sake of doing so, I ran another 'binary scan' and the results indicate that all is 'identical':
    I guess the thing to do here, as it isn't clear what caused the original problems with the SD card, is to keep an eye on things as you go.

    Hopefully, you'll get no more problems, but if you do, let's hope it becomes clearer as to what the cause is.

  15. #75
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Corrupted files after Perfect Tunes scan

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Thanks, understood.
    No problem.

    That was in simple layman's terms (and in the only basic way that I understand it to work). Someone else actually mentioned 'parse' within this, or a similar thread of mine, not so long ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •