title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Discussion of dBpoweramp R15.1

Administrator

Discussion of dBpoweramp R15.1

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Discussion of dBpoweramp R15.1

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Any chance of seeing significant new features in 15.x releases? [cough]CTDB?[/cough]

Administrator

Unlikely at this stage.

I was going to write to ask why scanning CD covers didn't work and found I should try 15.1. OK, that works but now I get

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'D:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\My Music\Lou Reed\Walk on the Wild Side; Live in New York 1972\01 Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side.flac'
    Secure ripping is not supported with unregistered dBpoweramp, select 'Standard' ripping method.

The configuration program says:

dBpoweramp 64-bit: Registered Reference, Release 15.1 Beta.

What's wrong?

Thanks,
    John

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hello,

I have a new Pioneer drive BDR-2209. dbp R15.1 and R15 is only seeing a x40 speed and in Technical Details it shows C2 Error Pointers: No but in Secure Options it found C2 Error Pointers working after using my test(scratched) CD.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

John, you would install r15 reference registered, then install the beta over the top without uninstalling r15, to maintain registration.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thexfile, the drive its self reports both these values, we just display what it reports.

dBpoweramp Guru

A couple of notes on 15.1, minor annoyances, not critical: (W7, 64 bit)

The scan artwork now works with my older Epson scanner, however, when I cancelled a scan in the Epson popup window (the preview showed it wasn't cropped correctly in automatic scan mode) I got the Windows popup "the program has stopped responding, close or close with windows suggesting corrections" (I don't remember the wording, you know what I mean, I've gotten this error hundreds of times with some software...) The program listed was one of the routines in the ripper, I assume the scanner routine. I clicked on "close", it didn't close the ripper, and the scanner link worked the next time I clicked on it without restarting the ripper.

Also, on another rip, I clicked on "cancel" in the ripper window in the middle of the rip, when I spotted a typo in the artist's name. I got the windows "stopped responding" error, I think it said core converter, it was 2AM and i was ready for bed so I didn't write it down. I am using the multi-converter, FLAC and m4a, with several DSP's each. Again, it didn't actually close the ripper and didn't require me to restart the ripper to re-rip the CD after I fixed the metadata typo.

Finally a question? (I know this probably belongs elsewhere but...) What software/hardware actually uses the m3u playlists? I set the ripper up to generate them because Winamp, which I used to attempt to use did. My rips go into two directories, one for m4a rips for my Ipod and Anderoid, one folder per album, each with a M3u, and the other for FLAC rips, used by the Asset server, also one folder per album, with m3u playlist per album. Am I wasting my disk space (not much...) and time (particularly when correcting metadata) generating the m3u's.

Thanks for great software and answers

John Schmidt
    Last edited by schmidj; 04-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

m3u files are simply playlist files. It would be rare to need these for simply playing an album (i.e., what you're creating is an *.m3u file of a complete album). Most players, including winamp would play an entire album if one wishes by simply browsing to and selecting the album. *m3u (playlist) files are really only needed if one creates playlists containing mixtures of tracks from multiple albums for future playback. Many players will also allow the user to browse to and play these playlists. bottom line, m3u files representing an complete album are not needed.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for confirming what I sort of suspected. It certainly appeared that none of the software I have tried with my FLAC directory required them to play albums. I wasn't sure whether Itunes used them. For some reason the (I believe) default configuration of Winamp I installed several years ago is set to create them and lists them down the left side of the screen, which is how I often selected an album to play, but even in Winamp you could open the library and play the albums without using the playlists.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Not needed in itunes either (of course itunes doesn't play FLAC files, but I mean that files that do play in itunes don't need any playlist files in order to browse and play albums).

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks. I'll stop generating them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    John, you would install r15 reference registered, then install the beta over the top without uninstalling r15, to maintain registration.
    That's what I did in the first place. I uninstalled everything, then went through the process again and it worked.