title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpowerAMP R15 32-bit & 64-bit Coexistence

Question dBpowerAMP R15 32-bit & 64-bit Coexistence

Hi Spoon,

As per my email, just purchased dBpowerAMP R15 & PerfectTunes. I reviewed the FAQ sections and advance apologies if this has been answered before, obviously I missed the thread, but it wasn't clear if dBpowerAMP R15 32-bit and 64-bit can both reside (coexist) on the same Windows 7 64-bit system ... suppose this also applies to PerfectTUNES and any other 32/64 installers.

I ask as I occasionally need to convert content that will require one of the 32-bit only codecs but would like to leverage the 64-bit performance improvements whenever possible.

If 32-bit & 64-bit cannot coexist on the same system, I'll likely have to go with the 32-bit install; that said, I'm unsure what the trade-offs are going to be and would appreciate some enlightenment. :smile:

Cheers,

REF URL: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...-Compatibility

Administrator

Re: dBpowerAMP R15 32-bit & 64-bit Coexistence

They cannot reasonably co-exist, because if you right click >> Convert To

which one would it show? the 32 bit or 64 bit?

Hi Spoon,

Appreciate the quick reply. Few questions:

1) What is the downside of doing a 32-bit installation on Win7 64-bit? Not sure what I'd be losing out on.

2) What approach do you recommend for situations where a 32-bit only codec is needed.

I'm getting ready to install and want to make certain I'm picking the best approach.

Cheers,

Administrator

1) none really, unless you have 100,000 files to convert then you might hit the 4GB memory limit. Some encoders are slightly slower for 32 bit also.
    2) Install 32 bi dbpoweramp and not worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    1) none really, unless you have 100,000 files to convert then you might hit the 4GB memory limit. Some encoders are slightly slower for 32 bit also.
    LOL. Considering I've only got 4GB of RAM on this particular system and I never batch more than a few 100, sounds like I'm ok with the 32-bit version.

2) Install 32 bi dbpoweramp and not worry about it
    Alrighty, 32-bit it is. Last set of silly questions:

1) Do I need to hold the SHIFT for each installer that I run or is this specific to the dBpowerAMP installer only - i.e. not needed for PerfectTUNES, Codec, etc.

2) Do I need to disable UAC - can't seem to get the installer to come up with C:\Program Files (x86)\...

Cheers,

* EDIT/SUGGESTION *

Maybe change the installation dialog to provide a 32-bit / 64-bit install option instead of holding the "right" SHIFT on launch.

:smile:
    Last edited by hilaireg; 03-15-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: PEBKAC

Administrator

Once you have 32 bit dbpoweramp installed, all the codec installers should install the right version.