title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

A track has clipped through the net and not ripped correctly...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

A track has clipped through the net and not ripped correctly...

Hi all

I have been ripping through my collection and have now done two to three hundred albums. Every now and then I display the library in Foobar just to check that all is looking right. Just started doing that today and have come across a track with a problem....

The filename is:

Brutal Truth - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom - 20 - 4;20

I noticed it as an error because in foobar it has question marks for Artist, Album, Genre, etc. None of that tag info has been written. Plus, the file is only 35KB (but the song is three minutes long). Here's what the log says for the track:

Track 20: Ripped LBA 207150 to 220662 (3:00) in 0:05. Filename: J:\_FLAC\Brutal Truth\[1997] Sounds of the Animal Kingdom\Brutal Truth - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom - 20 - 4;20.IGNORE
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 2) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 254BD114 AccurateRip CRC: CDBC96F4 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 022-00299b79-02b3ee29-26116616-20]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 2 [CRCv2 cdbc96f4]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 4 [CRCv1 fd4ef1ed]

ALL the other tracks in the album have either one or two "Using Pressing Offset" AR matches. As you can see, the track in question does not.

Things like this make me a bit nervous! I'm now wondering if I might have other songs ripped which have suffered the same fate. Or songs with different problems which have slipped through even they the had an Accurate Rip thumbs up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the track has these problems, what has gone wrong, an why?

Let me know if more info is needed.

Many thanks

Max
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Re: A track has clipped through the net and not ripped correctly...

Hmmm - perhaps I've been hasty.

I've just dug out the CD and the track is just three minutes of silence. Strangely, it can be found on youtube:

I guess that explains some of what is going on, although I am not sure why DBPA did not just rip three minutes of silence? And why no tags were written to the file? I was not using the Remove Silence DSP.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

sometimes metadata is not written because it is not found. the online databases are certainly not perfect in this regard. So having missing metadata happens occasionally and one must fix manually. I can't tell from your report whether the file was ripped, but just missing metadata or whether it was NOT ripped at all. Even if silence, it should be ripped.

EDIT: based on your LOG, dbpa did in fact rip this file as 3 minutes of silence and even AR matched it with a confidence of 2. Seems that ripped fine, but just didn't have correct/any metadata.
      Last edited by garym; 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Max Dread
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

Firstly, my apologies... The title should read slipped not clipped. Only just noticed.

It seems something has been ripped/made, but it's certainly not 3 mins of silence. As for the tagging, I check quite thoroughly before ripping. The data would have definitely been there. Plus, things like artist and album are global for the rip. AND, isn't the filename constructed from the metadata? Cos the info is in the filename...

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Try ripping this one track again, see what happens.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
            Try ripping this one track again, see what happens.
            Sorry for the delay...

Just done this and the same thing has happened...

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Max Dread
              Sorry for the delay...

Just done this and the same thing has happened...
              so it creates a file which is playable, but it has no metadata and is not 3 minutes long? can you upload the resulting file to dropbox or something so it can be looked at?

Comment

• Max Dread
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2013

It's strange. I'm now playing the file in Foobar. I can see the seconds ticking away in the bottom left corner. But the box on the progress bar is not there. Odd.

Here is the said file on Google Drive.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

It's strange. I'm now playing the file in Foobar. I can see the seconds ticking away in the bottom left corner. But the box on the progress bar is not there. Odd.

Here is the said file on Google Drive.

Thanks for all the help.
                  hmm. odd. almost no metadata. but will play in foobar2000 (silent) and does have an AR tag that shows a match. Only metadata is Album RG and peak/gain, CRC, and AR info (odd, no track RG value???). Definitely shows up as a valid FLAC file, but foobar2000 does report a minor issue because no length is reported. I noticed that in foobar where a track duration would normally be listed, this is just a "?".

Comment

• Max Dread
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2013

And strange how it does not track on the seekbar whilst playing (does it for you)? Maybe Spoon will be able to shed some light?

Not that it matters for this track seeing as it is silent anyway. But it does make me a touch nervous....

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

And strange how it does not track on the seekbar whilst playing (does it for you)? Maybe Spoon will be able to shed some light?

Not that it matters for this track seeing as it is silent anyway. But it does make me a touch nervous....
                      same, doesn't move at all on the seekbar. But down at bottom of my foobar screen where I have it set to show name of file playing kbs, file name, RG value, etc. I do see the time moving upward from zero to exactly 3 minutes, then it stops. (also odd that foobar doesn't show kbps of file either)

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

You need R11 of the DSP effects, see the testing section of this forum.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2013

Where do I find it? What do I need to look for? And how might it help?

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Where do I find it? What do I need to look for? And how might it help?
                            find it here. not sure how it will help. but install, then rerip that track:

Comment

• Max Dread
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by garym
                              not sure how it will help.
                              That's what I thought too.... Especially because I only use the RG and ID Tag Processing DSPs. But I've tried it and the tags have indeed been written correctly. APART FROM RG tags, which have not been written at all. It now plays back in Foobar correctly (as in you get the marker on the seek bar). No idea why or how.

But I did get this on the LOG though:

Information ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 20' to 'J:\_FLAC\Brutal Truth2\[1997] Sounds of the Animal Kingdom\Brutal Truth2 - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom - 20 - 4;20.IGNORE'
                              Track 20: Ripped LBA 207150 to 220662 (3:00) in 0:05. Filename: J:\_FLAC\Brutal Truth2\[1997] Sounds of the Animal Kingdom\Brutal Truth2 - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom - 20 - 4;20.IGNORE
                              AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 2) [Pass 1]
                              CRC32: 254BD114 AccurateRip CRC: CDBC96F4 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 022-00299b79-02b3ee29-26116616-20]
                              AccurateRip Verified Confidence 2 [CRCv2 cdbc96f4]
                              AccurateRip Verified Confidence 4 [CRCv1 fd4ef1ed]
                              FLAC: Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping, gain has been reduced to prevent this: Loudness=-66600000000000003000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000.00LUFS, Gain=666000000000000030000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000.00dB, Maximum True Peak=-1.00LUFS, True Peak=-84.29LUFS, New gain=83.29dB [clDSP::EndConversion]
                              mp3 (Lame): Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping, gain has been reduced to prevent this: Loudness=-66600000000000003000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000.00LUFS, Gain=666000000000000030000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000.00dB, Maximum True Peak=-1.00LUFS, True Peak=-84.29LUFS, New gain=83.29dB [clDSP::EndConversion]

Any ideas what that's all about??? (EDIT just seen that Post 4 here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...l=1*post143807 says that this is fixed. Obviously not in my case...

Also, is there anything I need to be aware of now that I have switched from 10 to 11 beta?

Many thanks

Max

PS - in case it is relevant at all, the FLAC file is 35KB, while the mp3 is 704KB. Again, no idea why!
                              Last edited by Max Dread; 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>