title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC Uncompressed to FLAC Level 8

FLAC Uncompressed to FLAC Level 8

This is maybe a stupid question but i want to be sure,
    I converted some flac files from uncompressed to level 8 and some from 5 to 8 will this affect any audio quality ?
    And i was wonderin if you compress from 8 to again level 8 will it even compress much more or will file size just be the same (if thats the case i cant believe its without quality loss)
    Also if i convert wavs to uncompressed flac why are there sometimes files that still have 5% compression ?
    Any help would be great, thanks !

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC Uncompressed to FLAC Level 8

Lossless=lossless. You can convert back and forth all you want and you'll still have bit perfect versions with zero effect on sq. The compression with FLACS is not lossy like an mp3. Whether uncompressed or =8 is not relevant for bit perfect or sq. this only effects the time it takes to encode or decode file. Mostly relates to encoding time.

You can't compress multiple times. In converting from one level to another, or to the same level, the data is decompressed before it is compressed again. So whatever compression you get at a given level is as much as you'll get.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You can't compress multiple times. In converting from one level to another, or to the same level, the data is decompressed before it is compressed again. So whatever compression you get at a given level is as much as you'll get.
    yep, otherwise I could fit my 80,000 track lossless library on a thumbdrive connected to my key ring! :p