title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Restrictions?

CD Ripper Restrictions?

When I attempt to rip a CD with a large number of tracks (>20?) the ripper just stops. I dont have a problem when ripping a cd with a lower number of tracks.

Is this a restriction of the ripper or is there some cache I need to clear etc?

Thanks for any assistance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Wairds View Post
    When I attempt to rip a CD with a large number of tracks (>20?) the ripper just stops. I dont have a problem when ripping a cd with a lower number of tracks.

Is this a restriction of the ripper or is there some cache I need to clear etc?

Thanks for any assistance.
    hmmm. i've never seen this. I've ripped CDs with 30 or more tracks

Administrator

I have ripped CDs with the maximum of 99 tracks, there is no such restriction in CD Ripper. Perhaps you have security software which suddenly blocks, or you rip to a location which is locking up?

When you say 'just stops' CD Ripper freezes? does Windows still work?

Many thanks for getting back to me.

I will give you an example of what happens.

I have a CD of 26 tracks. I tried a couple of times to rip the entire CD and it 'stopped' at the same track. Thinking it may be some restriction I re-started the ripping at the track it stopped at and the software appeared to just sit there. There was no movement on the screen other than the elapsed time increasing and the ripping speed remaining constant. Windows still works. I would have thought if it had been an issue with the pc or the recording media I would have problems with random tracks.

If I can give further diagnostics or information, please let me know.

Administrator

What happens if you rip the track after this one?

It failed on track 21. So restarted on track 22 and it worked, then failed on track 23 and all subsequent tracks. I do hear the speed of the CD drive fluctuating when it fails and so I switched to a secondary drive and it does the same thing. I was using the Secure option when ripping. I switch to the Burst option and at track 21 it comes back as Inaccurate but it does continue and comes back with Inaccurate for all subsequent tracks.

Try a different cd. Still on the Burst setting. OK until track 19 which comes back as Inaccurate. Track 20 ok. Track 21 it stalls with the CD spinning and CD Ripper 'Not Responding'.

Once again, if I can give further diagnostics or information, please let me know.

Administrator

It is likely an issue with your CD drive, our program only waits on the drive to return data, if the drive waits indefinitely the program will appear to just sit there. If you have c2 pointers enabled, try to switch them off.

I didn't have C2 pointers enabled.

However I have come to the end of my tether. I switched to my laptop with a different CD drive. I managed to rip a couple of CD's and now it is failing again.

Obviously it must be something I am doing incorrectly but I don't know what. I never had any problems ripping CD's to iTunes. Thanks for your assistance in attempting to resolve this problem.

Regards

Administrator

So the same disc in a different machine also freezes? perhaps the disc is damaged and cannot be ripped? do other discs freeze?

Where do you rip to? a local drive or network share?

This is a new disc in a new drive. The discs which originally failed I managed to rip ok with the new drive. Once I had this success I assumed it was the drives causing me problems. Yet when I put a previously unripped cd in the new drive I was surprised when it failed. I am trying to rip to a newly purchased Buffalo NAS.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is a new disc in a new drive. The discs which originally failed I managed to rip ok with the new drive. Once I had this success I assumed it was the drives causing me problems. Yet when I put a previously unripped cd in the new drive I was surprised when it failed. I am trying to rip to a newly purchased Buffalo NAS.
    try ripping to your local PC "c" drive instead of the NAS (as a test). You can copy the ripped files over to NAS later (this is what I do, rip to local C: drive, then move in mass over the network to my music server). But even as a test, this will determine if there is something about the writing to the NAS that is causing the hangup.

Thanks for your suggestion. I had wondered about the NAS and had done what you had suggested but alas with the same result. It sits on the first track 'Re-Rip [379 Frames]'.

I should add that I am trying to rip seldom-played CD's with no damage. I also realise that CD-Ripper is a mature, widely used product which is why it baffles me I am having these problems.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It sits on the first track 'Re-Rip [379 Frames]'.
    It is a bad disk. Try washing it. (Seriously...)

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for your suggestion. I had wondered about the NAS and had done what you had suggested but alas with the same result. It sits on the first track 'Re-Rip [379 Frames]'.

I should add that I am trying to rip seldom-played CD's with no damage. I also realise that CD-Ripper is a mature, widely used product which is why it baffles me I am having these problems.
    I assume you're trying this with multiple disks and getting the same sorts of errors each time across these multiple albums. Some disks just go bad or are bad from the beginning. They'll play in a CD player but won't rip properly. And this is just as likely to happen to me with a brand new disk (open package > insert into computer to rip!) as with a 15 year old disk. Problems with disks can occur with manufacturing and are certainly not limited to things one can see with the naked eye.