title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database tag lookup sadly weak

Database tag lookup sadly weak

I just bought Sadhana, by Baird Hersey & Prana. The newest CD Ripper v.15 finds no matches in its supposedly "smart" meta lookup. So I popped the CD into Media Monkey and it immediately identifies all the information, even including the cover art. If Media Monkey can do this right, why can't CD Ripper?

Administrator

Re: Database tag lookup sadly weak

We can never comment about individual discs, as there are some 2 million individual discs and they do not all appear in a single database.

If you put a popular disc in then click the review button, are all 4 entries filled? AMG, GD3, musicbrainz and freedb?

I have kind of the same issue. I ripped several CDs with DBPoweramp, but a few failed the CD meta tag lookup. Just to check, I popped them into Windows Media Player, and it accurately identified the discs. What can I do to work around the limitation of DBPoweramp, and get it to look for the same information that Windows Media Player has?

Thanks for your help!

Administrator

wmp uses its own database, only Microsoft have access to this database, you can either manually type the info (be sure to submit to freedb, as this database is populated with user submissions), or you can rip in wmp.

dBpoweramp Guru

odd to see these questions. I've ripped > 5,000 CDs and only a handful did I have to enter metadata manually. Even many of the obscure CDs found data automatically. As spoon indicated earlier in this thread, have you checked to see that you've turned on the various metdata sources of perfectmeta in the ripper. It's in the ripper options, dropdown menu next to meta. Make sure you've ticked all the metadata sources for use. Can't recall, but maybe this only works with the (paid) reference version?

Also, make sure there is a check-mark next to PerfectMeta itself in the "Meta" menu. A couple of days ago I was confused as to why I wasn't getting any metadata all of a sudden, but then I realized I had accidentally unchecked PerfectMeta, and this had turned off the data lookup altogether!

I'm continually getting the same problem. If I open in Winamp or Media Monkey straight away I get track info. I suspect the problem is DBpoweramp doesn't use the Gracenote database. Is there any way to add it?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I'm continually getting the same problem. If I open in Winamp or Media Monkey straight away I get track info. I suspect the problem is DBpoweramp doesn't use the Gracenote database. Is there any way to add it?
    Spoon has said no in the past due to cost. But I'm still surprised. I've ripped thousands of CDs and dbpa reports the metadata in virtually every case. Are you seeing this with most of your CDs, 25%, 1 out of 50? or ????

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Spoon has said no in the past due to cost. But I'm still surprised. I've ripped thousands of CDs and dbpa reports the metadata in virtually every case. Are you seeing this with most of your CDs, 25%, 1 out of 50? or ????
    About 25% I'd say. Just means I have to rip them in either of those other pieces of software.

dBpoweramp Guru

About 25% I'd say. Just means I have to rip them in either of those other pieces of software.
    Are these classical CDs? Do these other rippers use secure methods to rip and/or match to AccurateRip database. If not, that's not a very good tradeoff for one interested in secure ripping of CDs.

No they're not classical but rock & blues. Well tradeoff is sometimes necessary when you've time constraints stopping you having to manually enter in everything.

dBpoweramp Guru

No they're not classical but rock & blues. Well tradeoff is sometimes necessary when you've time constraints stopping you having to manually enter in everything.
    Agree! But I'm still amazed at this outcome given that these are rock and blues CDs. These are typically the easiest of the metadata providers. 25% is way too high and very unusual. I think I've asked before, but you're sure you've got all the metadata provider sources ticked in the dbpa CD ripper options (dropdown menu that is just next to the metadata option button at top menu of ripper....the dropdown arrow, NOT the meta button itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

Plus, I assume you're using the paid version of dbpa. Not sure if the free trial has all the various PerfectMeta metadata providers. It may, just can't recall.

I've used paid versions for several years now so am very used to using it.

Administrator

You would need dBpoweramp Reference R14 or newer to get metadata from all the providers.