title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: Resampling FLAC 24/96 to FLAC 16/44.1 destroys Unsynced Lyrics

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Resampling FLAC 24/96 to FLAC 16/44.1 destroys Unsynced Lyrics

I have albums of "studio-quality" FLAC files (24bit, 96kHz) files that contain Unsynced Lyrics in multiline text format. I need to also create "CD-quality" versions of the same files. However, the Resample DSP effect creates a separate Unsynced Lyrics tag for each text line when the file is downsampled to 16/44.1.

This should not be the case. Music Converter should not alter the values of FLAC tags when resampling.

Now, since I have the original lyrics in a text file, I can of course use mp3tag.exe to delete the thirty or more incorrect Unsynced Lyrics tags that were unexpectedly created and then add the lyrics back in as a single multiline tag. But with hundreds of files to process, this is an unacceptable flaw. A process that takes only a mnute or two to resample a whole album should not require us to spend another 45 minutes or more to manually replace the damaged tags with the correct tag.

Please fix this ASAP or help us find a work-around until you can rectify this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

Re: Resampling FLAC 24/96 to FLAC 16/44.1 destroys Unsynced Lyrics

When you are converting, it is creating a new file, the tag has to be decoded and passed through dBpoweramp then recreated, and if a non-standard tag to Vorbis comments is used then potentially there might be side effects. Which players use this tag?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Which players use this tag?
    No player that I know of uses the Unsynced Lyrics tag when playing a FLAC file, but that is not a good reason to disallow proper processing. The Unsynced Lyrics tag is a standard tag in the ID3v.2x world. If FLAC is used for archiving and file conversion to other formats, then it should preserve the integrity of the metadata.

Having said that, we view FLAC as the correct solution for distribution of commercial music, especially when optical discs go the way of the 8-track cartridge and now audio cassettes. You know as well as I do that the marketplace demand for quality files in a file-based media world will not shrink but rather grow exponentially when they realize that lossy files would be their only option. Of course, many don't care, but even 5% of two billion potential users is a huge market.

We hope to develop or at least influence the development an affordable media player for FLAC and DSD (yes, and mp3 too) files for use with a media server-based system with extensive search and play capabilities—one that is user-friendly with a wireless tablet interface. User-friendly is a key term here; there is at least one player out there whose name I won't mention, but it's a relative nightmare trying to configure it and learn to use. For one, it attempts to be a jack-of-all-trades, embracing images, television, video, the world wide web and audio and probably more. It has the same problems as most VCR players—too many little-used features making the remote control a nightmare to master.

The point is, however, that we should be able to include "rich" metadata when we build a media library of quality music files to add to a server. Without extended tags embedded in the track files that go beyond the simple basic ones, search capabilities and user access to important information (lyrics, performers and their role, record label or indie information, album producer, etc.) are crippled needlessly.

Can you "fix" it so that multi-line text metadata is preserved as-is when resampling?

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

Noted for next beta.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you!!!