title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: Ripping HDCD CDs to be played with devices without HDCD decoding

Ripping HDCD CDs to be played with devices without HDCD decoding

In the last couple of days I've searched for information about how to rip HDCD encoded CDs to be played through devices that do not support the HDCD decoding (mostly network music players as the Linn DS, Cambridge Audio, etc..) but after so much reading I am still very confused about it.
    It's my understanding that a good idea is to have 2 ripping of the same title: one straight rip and the other decoded using the DSP function of the dBPoweramp Music Converter, but how about the +6dB option? If enabled, will this function lead to problem as clipping while trying to re-establish the volume level differences? I have no interest in messing with the reply gain options as I have read in some posts (anyway most of the devices that I use do not support it) and I will rather use the volume control in the amp to re-establish the level difference but if there is a way to get the best from each option I am eager to know it.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: Ripping HDCD CDs to be played with devices without HDCD decoding

+6dB can cause clipping on some discs, so it can be best leaving it off.