title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Operators for Naming?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chileboy
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2007

Operators for Naming?

I have an increasingly complicated naming scheme for ripping. Today I revised it yet again and apparently ran into a length limitation, as it started getting truncated in the dynamic naming field.

I'm a somewhat experienced programmer, and I've nested my arguments as much as possible,and I finally trimmed it enough to almost accomplish what I want.

The biggest issue is the lack of operators and true if..then logic, which leads to overly repetitive code.

My (current) issue is that I want to apply specific schemes to certain genres. In order to accomplish that, I have to employ logic such as:

Code:
    [IFEQUALS]genre,Classical,[IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[artist][][][IFEQUALS]genre,Renaissance,[IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[artist][][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Classical,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Renaissance,[artist][][]
    to accomplish (in my pseudo-code):

Code:
    [IFEQUALS]genre,Classical OR Renaissance,[IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[artist][],[artist][]
    (where the last [artist] above is the "else" return of the [IFEQUALS] argument).

And what I'm trying to do is more complicated than that. For instance, using the example above, in addition to the Classical and Renaissance genres, I'd like to employ the same logic to Gothic, Choral, etc., but since I need to test multiple times for every genre, it leads to impossibly long strings.

Is there some feature or trick that I'm missing?

Thanks,

- Mark
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Operators for Naming?

You could add a tag e.g. MyNewTag, for CDs where genre is Classical, Renaissance, Gothic, Choral etc. and give it a value of 1, then you only have a single test on that tag:

[IFVALUE]MyNewTag,[IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[artist][],[artist][]

However, this solution requires you to remember to add the tag for CDs where genre is Classical, Renaissance, Gothic, Choral etc., which is pain.

Comment

• chileboy
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2007

But how would that work? I didn't try it, but if I used the ID Tag Processing codec at rip, I figured it was applied after-the-fact, so it wouldn't respect it when building the folder structure anyway. Is that incorrect?

Thanks!

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

I'd suggest you break this up into different profiles, rather than trying to squeeze every possibility into one profile. Once you have several of them set up, selecting a profile is a very convenient way to employ customized naming for your different categories, whether that be different genres or whatever works for you.

Using your example, if you have particular requirements for Classical or Renaissance genres, make a Classical/Renaissance profile. Its naming string then doesn't need to accommodate any other genres or situations, and your other profiles don't need to include anything about Classical or Renaissance.

I find this much easier than creating/using long, all-encompassing naming strings.

Comment

• chileboy
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Nov 2007

@BrodyBoy -

Wow. What can I say except Thank You! Can't believe I never used that feature...

- Mark

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Hey, no problem....glad to help!

Comment

• TimR
              • Sep 2010

Thanks for the great tip BrodyBoy!
              I just reached the length limit on my naming string and this tip will allow me to bring it under control again.

Cheers

Comment

Working...

]]>