title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Upgrading RipNAS's HDD drives

Upgrading RipNAS's HDD drives

Hi,

I'm planning to do this soon, upgrade from the original sized 500 Gb duo to a pair of new 1.5 Tb drives.

From the searching I've done of this forum I didn't find anything on this.

Under Shared Folders of WHSC I've got Music and Software folders Duplicated, the rest are Empty.

Are the OS and other related files duplicated? Or are these always only stored on the C drive? A critical issue I'm guessing.

I'm imagining, from having upgraded a ReadyNAS Duo in the past that the process should be:
    1) swap in 1 new drive
    2) wait for it to duplicate
    3) swap in 2nd new drive
    4) wait for it to duplicate
    5) add more files :smile2:

But if OS only resides on C: drive then the process is surely more involved.

I have the Rescue*1.iso and ripnas17c.mrimg files on my Mac. I'm guessing if needed these need to be on a USB(?) or CDR, with presumably the files written in a certain order.

Thanks in advance for advice.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Upgrading RipNAS's HDD drives

Quote Originally Posted by warrengday View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to do this soon, upgrade from the original sized 500 Gb duo to a pair of new 1.5 Tb drives.

From the searching I've done of this forum I didn't find anything on this.

Under Shared Folders of WHSC I've got Music and Software folders Duplicated, the rest are Empty.

Are the OS and other related files duplicated? Or are these always only stored on the C drive? A critical issue I'm guessing.

I'm imagining, from having upgraded a ReadyNAS Duo in the past that the process should be:
    1) swap in 1 new drive
    2) wait for it to duplicate
    3) swap in 2nd new drive
    4) wait for it to duplicate
    5) add more files :smile2:

But if OS only resides on C: drive then the process is surely more involved.

I have the Rescue*1.iso and ripnas17c.mrimg files on my Mac. I'm guessing if needed these need to be on a USB(?) or CDR, with presumably the files written in a certain order.

Thanks in advance for advice.
    The OS only resides on one drive, in a 20GB C: partition. So you will not be able to replace both drives by the method you describe. Furthermore your new 1.5TB drives are probable 512E 4K sectors drives ie. with native 4K sectors on the disc but emulating 512 byte sectors over the interface. Even if WHS V1 will install the OS on such a drive (and I've seen conflicting statements about that) there will be a performance hit due to WHS v1 not aligning its block alloctions to match the underlying 4K physical sectors.

I've gone for leaving the original 0.5GB drive in place to run the OS from containing C: and a bit of data, and swapping the second drive. I have a 1TB drive there at the moment, 512E 4K sectors but since the data is read vastly more often than it is written I don't worry about the slow down. This leaves me the original 0.5MB second drive as a spare to re-install WHS on if the primary disc ever fails. At some stage I will replace the 1TB drive with a 2TB drive but continue with the 0.5GB primary drive.

I have duplication turned off, I can't see the point of it. They're not robust backups and I take real backups to an external drive over the network. Duplication is about up time in the event of drive failure, and I don't need that plus if the primary drive fails with C: on then the server goes down anyway due to no duplication.