title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a AAC Encoder (FDK) bit rate argument not working?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Morthal3
    • Feb 2014

m4a AAC Encoder (FDK) bit rate argument not working?

Hi,

I'm using the dBPowerAmp free trial to simply convert files from mp3 and wav formats to m4a using m4a AAC Encoder (FDK) Release 1. My goal is to have m4a formatted files set at a bit rate of 128kbps.

I took perhaps a road less travelled, by writing a C* program to do some extra work around the conversion which uses command line encoding to perform the conversion. I used the given example for m4a AAC to create the command line arguments:

"c:\program files\illustrate\dBpoweramp\coreconverter.exe" -infile="c:\Sleep Away.mp3" -outfile="c:\Sleep Away.m4a" -convert_to="m4a FDK (aac)" -bitrate 128"

However, the files that were created ended up at a bit rate of 256kbps. I noticed in another example that '-b 128000' was used instead, so I tried that as well, but to no avail.

Please advise if I missed something, but otherwise I think that the bit rate argument doesn't work as expected.

--
    My temporary solution:
    Eventually I ran dBPowerAmp Music Converter and paused it during a conversion, using m4A AAC at 128kbps. I managed to view the command line arguments that were being processed and found that after the -cli_encoder argument, the -cli_cmd argument appeared with a few arguments embedded. One of them was "-b 128000". Copying the -cli_encoder and -cli_cmd arguments into my program's arguments and running it proved to correctly convert to my desired m4a @ 128kbps bit rate.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: m4a AAC Encoder (FDK) bit rate argument not working?

For future reference (or for anyone else):

Certain Codecs (WMA, and compressed Wave) are difficult to setup as the settings are not guessable. Using CD Ripper it is possible to set the compression settings and read them back from the registry. Open CD Ripper, set the profile to default, set the encoder and settings as desired. Close CD Ripper then open regedit:
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>