title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replaygain Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Replaygain Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping....

Hi

I've been doing some more test ripping and noticed this in the Info Log:

"FLAC: Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping, gain has been reduced to prevent this: Loudness=-17.78LUFS, Gain=-0.22dB, Maximum True Peak=-1.00LUFS, True Peak=0.00LUFS, New gain=-1.00dB [clDSP::EndConversion]"

What exactly does it mean and is it anything to worry about?

I have LUFS set to -18. I'd prefer to not set it lower as I'm concerned that this will make the playback on my iPod too quiet (I'm in the EU so my iPod is capped). OTOH, if the warning message is problematic, then I guess I may HAVE to change it....

Cheers

Max

Administrator

Re: Replaygain Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping....

It is just the codec self adjusting, it is information.

I think I removed this information in latest version, perhaps in the Testing section.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Nothing to worry about at all then by the sounds of it. Presumably though, because it is making adjustments I would not want to raise the LUFS any higher (so that tracks are over louder on my iPod)????

Thanks for the quick answer and for putting up with my questions!
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-01-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Administrator

No need to change anything.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi

Just wanted to re-visit this to check everything is ok (yes, I'm a natural worrier!). Would rather know now that after having done hundreds of CDs....

I'm not totally sure what the RG stats in Audio Properties are telling me. But as an example of a track which just got one of these warnings, the results were:

replaygain_album_gain +0.34 dB
    replaygain_album_peak 0.955811
    replaygain_track_gain -0.43 dB
    replaygain_track_peak 0.936279

I'm most interested to know what the top "+" figure means and whether it is a problem.

But a brief explanation of all the figures would satisfy my inquiring mind!

Many thanks

Max
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-07-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Administrator

It is how replaygain works, some tracks are reduced in volume, others are increased (+)