title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Force AccurateRip to recognize a track from compilation CD?

Force AccurateRip to recognize a track from compilation CD?

So, an old CD I ripped yesterday had one track that aborted (too many frames to re-rip). The CD looks like somebody abused it. Now, the track in question was put on a compilation CD many years ago, which still looks pristine, and maybe the copy on the compilation has no errors. But of course AccurateRip doesn't recognize the compilation. Is there a way to I can force AccurateRip to recognize the track for what it is, and try to get an AccurateRip of it?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Force AccurateRip to recognize a track from compilation CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Goes To 11 View Post
    So, an old CD I ripped yesterday had one track that aborted (too many frames to re-rip). The CD looks like somebody abused it. Now, the track in question was put on a compilation CD many years ago, which still looks pristine, and maybe the copy on the compilation has no errors. But of course AccurateRip doesn't recognize the compilation. Is there a way to I can force AccurateRip to recognize the track for what it is, and try to get an AccurateRip of it?
    First, you can configure at what number of frames it should give up. And a different drive could do things different.

But let me assume that the CD is damaged beyond repair. And by 'compilation' you mean, you copied it (digitally) to a CD-R, right?
    It requires luck, in the sense that this track must be precisely the same length (which could go wrong with e.g. pregap not being exactly two seconds), but you can check that by burst ripping your damaged CD and comparing number of samples. With that in place, I think PerfectTunes could do it; you might have to copy all tags from the burst ripped one though. Also CUETools could maybe do so; if nonstandard pregap lengths, you have to tag it with "accurateripid" (which is like the "accurateripdiscid" that dBp writes, except removed the first three numbers + dash, and the dash-tracknumber at the end).

What you cannot do, is force dBpoweramp to check your compilation track during rip as if it were that track on the CD. You will only get information, not a better rip. The CUETools database could maybe help, actually, but then it needs to find it as I wrote above.

Re: Force AccurateRip to recognize a track from compilation CD?

Italicized portions are from Porcus's post above. (And thanks, Porcus.)

First, you can configure at what number of frames it should give up. And a different drive could do things different.

I already tried a different drive, no luck. I thought about changing the limit on number of frames, maybe I'll give that a go before I try anything else.

But let me assume that the CD is damaged beyond repair. And by 'compilation' you mean, you copied it (digitally) to a CD-R, right?

Right.

It requires luck, in the sense that this track must be precisely the same length (which could go wrong with e.g. pregap not being exactly two seconds), but you can check that by burst ripping your damaged CD and comparing number of samples.

Sorry for being slow, Porcus, but I don't understand: compare the burst-ripped CD to what samples?

With that in place, I think PerfectTunes could do it; you might have to copy all tags from the burst ripped one though. Also CUETools could maybe do so; if nonstandard pregap lengths, you have to tag it with "accurateripid" (which is like the "accurateripdiscid" that dBp writes, except removed the first three numbers + dash, and the dash-tracknumber at the end).

OK, I'll have to study PerfectTunes and CUETools a little, I've never used them. So that makes it a little hard for me to follow.

What you cannot do, is force dBpoweramp to check your compilation track during rip as if it were that track on the CD.

OK, thanks for being clear about that, that's what I was wondering.

You will only get information, not a better rip. The CUETools database could maybe help, actually, but then it needs to find it as I wrote above.

If the copy was made before the original CD got damaged, why can't I get a better rip from it?