title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with Nimbie and Batch Ripper

Problems with Nimbie and Batch Ripper

For the past couple of weeks, I've been engaged in a major ripping project involving 3000+ CD's. I bought a Nimbie NB21 robot and have been using Batch Ripper, mostly successfully - I've ripped about 1000 CD's so far. (Spoon has been very helpful off-line on a few metadata issues -- thanks).

But on two or three occasions, usually after a loading error, the Nimbie stops fully responding to commands from Batch Ripper. What seems to happen (including right now) is that Batch Ripper will successfully open and close the tray, but won't trigger the Nimbie to rotate the 3 wheels that the CDs rest on. Therefore, the CD will not drop into the tray. I get a prompt for a spindle change but, even after placing another CD or two in the unit, the cycle just continues. I have tried turning the unit on and off, rebooting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, uninstalling and installing the Nimbie driver provided by dbPoweramp, uninstalling and reinstalling the Batch Converter program, all ad nauseam. I had the same problem a few times previously and, after much frustration, got it working again through some combination of the above steps, but right now, it refuses to work. It will just open and close the CD tray but will not allow the CD to drop into the tray. The status indicator lights on the Nimbie are all OK.

This is extremely frustrating! Any ideas?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Problems with Nimbie and Batch Ripper

Check that the Nimbie appears in the device manager.

It does, and had previously. After multiple installs and re-installs, it just decided to start working again. It seems very temperamental and I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped again for no reason. The key operation that it seems to "forget" is to rotate and drop the CD into the tray.

Hi kschac, please contact Acronova tech support at support@acronova.com or 732-422-1868.

In order to diagnostic the issue, please e-mail us the .log files from Batch Rippers folder at: "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Ni mbie\"

Thank you.

Literally (today!) about to embark on ripping my CD collection which is about the size of your project (3000+) and have also bought a NB21 to (hopefully) speed up the process. Garym has been incredibly helpful off-line with providing me with a detailed set of instructions re setting up dbpa which I intend to follow diligently. However, for various reasons I plan to rip to Apple Lossless and want to do sanity check as to whether there are any gotchas I should be mindful of - have seen a few threads with no clear resolution as to difficulties with getting new rips recognized by iTunes. In that vein, comment in your post got my attention about Spoon helping you with metadata issues. I expect they will be relevant to me so was hoping you would provide an update on your project and share your experience. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kschac View Post
    For the past couple of weeks, I've been engaged in a major ripping project involving 3000+ CD's. I bought a Nimbie NB21 robot and have been using Batch Ripper, mostly successfully - I've ripped about 1000 CD's so far. (Spoon has been very helpful off-line on a few metadata issues -- thanks).

But on two or three occasions, usually after a loading error, the Nimbie stops fully responding to commands from Batch Ripper. What seems to happen (including right now) is that Batch Ripper will successfully open and close the tray, but won't trigger the Nimbie to rotate the 3 wheels that the CDs rest on. Therefore, the CD will not drop into the tray. I get a prompt for a spindle change but, even after placing another CD or two in the unit, the cycle just continues. I have tried turning the unit on and off, rebooting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, uninstalling and installing the Nimbie driver provided by dbPoweramp, uninstalling and reinstalling the Batch Converter program, all ad nauseam. I had the same problem a few times previously and, after much frustration, got it working again through some combination of the above steps, but right now, it refuses to work. It will just open and close the CD tray but will not allow the CD to drop into the tray. The status indicator lights on the Nimbie are all OK.

This is extremely frustrating! Any ideas?

Thanks.

Howdy dbpower7.

I've posted in another thread how I go about dealing with having batch ripper control the nimbie robot reliably.

I would however be interested to hear what your dbpa settings are. I also have an NB21 and a medium-sized (800 CD) collection to rip. I also would like to get it right on the first try. So, perhaps you can share what your settings are.

Thanks,

H.Cat

I am having similar issues. Running dBpa R15 with Batch Ripper and Nimbie Loader drivers on Windows 7. I have tried multiple fresh installs, reboots, etc. I am testing two drives; one drive mostly works just fine. NimbieBackgroundRunner.exe is loading fine. All settings are default, and I am using Test Conversion. Here is a sample log file:

Beginning Test

Running Program: "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Ni mbie\Load\Load.exe" --drive="F" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\wchase\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB49D B.tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\wchase\AppData\Local\Temp \dBB49DC.tmp"
    Running...
    *** Error: Error unable to perform task
    (x ~13,000)

Testing Complete

I also get these pop up windows saying "Open" or "Not Open" which prompt me to click OK.

It seems that Batch Rippergets the two drives confused. The configuration utility will test the same drive despite recognizing two separate drives. I have tried different USB port combinations with the same result. I have been able to get both drives working on two occasions, but as soon as I try another test the system stops recognizing one of the drives.

Update: after speaking with Acronova support, I tried attaching the drives via USB 2.0 ports only. This seems to alleviate the load/unload issues.