title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Submitting data to AccurateRip from a Mac

Submitting data to AccurateRip from a Mac

I have a second computer, a MacBook, in my household, and wanted to use that to rip some CDs I have that aren't in the AccurateRip database. I have already ripped them with my Windows desktop, and submitted the data from there with dBpoweramp.

1. What Mac app will submit data to AccurateRip? Rip seems to have been abandoned 5 years ago, and I didn't see an option in XLD when I used it. Does Songbook have that ability? If not, how would I submit rip data?

1. Even though both machines are behind the same IP, they will show up as different entries in the AccurateRip database as it's based on the physical hardware, not IP, right?

Administrator

Re: Submitting data to AccurateRip from a Mac

No Mac program will submit to AccurateRip.

Since this Mac omission is apparently never going to be resolved, what Windows (read: shitbox) application will submit to the AccurateRip database that does not require installation? I can run a Windows .exe application on a Mac with an emulator (Wine), but I don't have an OS virtual machine that it can install on. Since I have *hundreds* of Classical CDs that are not in the AccurateRip database and art musicians exclusively use Macs, some work around needs to be found.

Administrator

Wine will not rip CDs, it is low level code dBpoweramp uses to talk to the CD drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorbob View Post
    Since this Mac omission is apparently never going to be resolved, what Windows (read: shitbox) application will submit to the AccurateRip database that does not require installation? I can run a Windows .exe application on a Mac with an emulator (Wine), but I don't have an OS virtual machine that it can install on. Since I have *hundreds* of Classical CDs that are not in the AccurateRip database and art musicians exclusively use Macs, some work around needs to be found.
    By all means ask for help, but please don't post this inflammatory nonsense in these forums, as it isn't welcome here. There are plenty of Mac-ho sites out there, for you to flex your big apple ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Wine will not rip CDs, it is low level code dBpoweramp uses to talk to the CD drive.
    Why the Mac version of dBpoweramp CD Ripper can 'talk' to the CD drive, but the Windows version of dBpoweramp CD Ripper, running through the Wine emulator, cannot seems odd. But let's take that at face value.

If the Mac dBpoweramp CD Ripper can extract CD audio tracks *and* compare those extractions to the AccurateRip database, submitting to the database is a comparatively much simpler feature. How hard can it be to send a CSV or XML file to a database?

And if no Mac application can submit to the AccurateRip database, while the Mac has 90+% of the professional, academic, and art ("Classical") CD production market share, shouldn't the ability to submit to AccurateRip be the *1 feature implementation on the 'to do' list? Imagine the selling point of, "dBpoweramp CD Ripper: the *only* Mac application that can submit to the AccurateRip database!" This would actually get people to switch from the free XLD ripper to dBpoweramp.

No Mac program will submit to AccurateRip.
    Will the Mac version ever gain this ability? This limitation has literally driven me back to my Win laptop for ripping so that I can submit to the database. I can't help but think that some of my ripping sessions would be a lot quicker if there were Mac submissions to draw from. I assume there are technical or licensing issues at play though I personally haven't seen any official reason(s) posted.

Quote Originally Posted by slainte View Post
    Will the Mac version ever gain this ability? This limitation has literally driven me back to my Win laptop for ripping so that I can submit to the database. I can't help but think that some of my ripping sessions would be a lot quicker if there were Mac submissions to draw from. I assume there are technical or licensing issues at play though I personally haven't seen any official reason(s) posted.
    I gave up on the Mac version after the terse reply that I got.

I then installed Parallels Desktop, Windows 10 Education, and dBpoweramp 17.4, all to contribute to the AccurateRip DB. I have since added *hundreds* of CDs to it, all of them being the first and only entry of each CD to AccurateRip.

See, classical/art musicians use Macs. They record CDs. They commercially sell CDs. Other musicians buy the CDs, losslessly rip them with XLD (which checksums against AccurateRip), then import the tracks to iTunes. Thanks to me, moreso than dBpoweramp, more classical/art CDs have checksums.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorbob View Post
    I gave up on the Mac version after the terse reply that I got.

I then installed Parallels Desktop, Windows 10 Education, and dBpoweramp 17.4, all to contribute to the AccurateRip DB. I have since added *hundreds* of CDs to it, all of them being the first and only entry of each CD to AccurateRip.

See, classical/art musicians use Macs. They record CDs. They commercially sell CDs. Other musicians buy the CDs, losslessly rip them with XLD (which checksums against AccurateRip), then import the tracks to iTunes. Thanks to me, moreso than dBpoweramp, more classical/art CDs have checksums.
    I've been adding first time submissions for quite some time. Just did both the new Blondie box set and Stereolab CDs last night for a total of ten discs. I enjoy contributing but as a person who still purchases new music in the CD format, odds are good that my session will take a bit longer between tagging and ripping securely. I just want to know why submissions are nil on Mac.

Great that most musicians use Macs, but I doubt they're all "rippers".

Administrator

The Mac version will not gain submission ability.

The Mac version will not gain submission ability.
    Can you elaborate a little on the reasoning behind this? Is it just a matter of priorities or is there a reason not to trust submissions from Mac systems? If so, should I not trust any rip on a Mac that's not from a disc in AccurateRip?

Administrator

The Mac version of AccurateRip was never as developed, it has no self offset finding ability (relies on the drive name and existing database).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darmok View Post
    Can you elaborate a little on the reasoning behind this? Is it just a matter of priorities or is there a reason not to trust submissions from Mac systems? If so, should I not trust any rip on a Mac that's not from a disc in AccurateRip?
    A Mac can rip just fine, and it can match its rips to rips in the AR database. The only thing it can't do is SUBMIT to the AR database. A rip that is not in the AR database is equally trustworthy if reported as SECURE whether ripped on a Mac or Windows machine.