title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iTunes Soundcheck tag, COMMENT ITUNNORM vs. ITUNNORM

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

iTunes Soundcheck tag, COMMENT ITUNNORM vs. ITUNNORM

Can someone please explain the difference between the COMMENT ITUNNORM and ITUNNORM tags?

For years I have created the COMMENT ITUNNORM tag in MP3Tag assuming that iTunes and my iPod would use this tag for the iTunes Sound Check feature.

However, I notice that dBpoweramp is writing the ITUNNORM tag and not the COMMENT ITUNNORM tag for the Sound Check feature.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: iTunes Soundcheck tag, COMMENT ITUNNORM vs. ITUNNORM

Hi. My OS is Windows 7 Pro_64 bit I’ve 10.000 mp3 files created in the last five years: . tagged with mp3Tag v.2.53 (Mpeg options: READ ID3v1 and ID3v2 checked; WRITE ID3v1, ID3v2, ID3v2.3 UTF-16 checked); . analyzed with mp3Gain (only analyzed, NOT Normalized); . imported in iTunes (either iTunes 8 or iTunes 10) with Sound Check option turned on. The Volume adjustment has been always calculated by iTunes (Sound check on) and is satisfying for me. The mp3Gain APE information has been ...

From what I can see COMMENT ITUNNORM is a very old iTunes 6 tag.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
      http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=16926

From what I can see COMMENT ITUNNORM is a very old iTunes 6 tag.
      Spoon, that thread also suggests COMMENT ITUNNORM is the Sound Check tag for mp3, whilst ITUNNORM is the Sound Check tag for m4a.

From what I can gather, the issue with COMMENT ITUNNORM vs. ITUNNORM seems rather confused, so users often write both.

Does anyone have definitive knowledge on which tag to use and with which file format?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I think that is where the confusion is, it might have been true at one point in time, however I think Apple unified the tag name, that said iTunes 10 does not write it any more.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Just done some testing with iTunes v.11.1.3.8, Sound Check enabled in iTunes preferences.

1. Started with a new empty library and added an album with no Sound Check tags (COMMENT ITUNNORM or ITUNNORM):
          iTunes scans the files and computes the normalization information (Determining Audio Volume progress appears at the top of iTunes). No tags are written to my files so I assume the data is stored in the iTunes Music Library database.

2. Started with a new empty library and added an album with the Sound Check tag ITUNNORM:
          iTunes scans the files and computes the normalization information (Determining Audio Volume progress appears at the top of iTunes). No tags are written to my files so I assume the data is stored in the iTunes Music Library database.

3. Started with a new empty library and added an album with the Sound Check tag COMMENT ITUNNORM:
          iTunes does not scan the files and no tags are written to my files.

So when NO tags OR the ITUNNORM tag is present, iTunes scans the files (Determining Audio Volume), but when COMMENT ITUNNORM is present, no scanning occurs.

This suggests that in dBpoweramp, COMMENT iTUNNORM should be used (for mp3) and not ITUNNORM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Noted, will update for the next beta.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
              This suggests that in dBpoweramp, COMMENT iTUNNORM should be used (for mp3) and not ITUNNORM.
              To confirm, I just did same test and got same results. Note that mp3 files need "COMMENT iTUNNORM" but m4a (aac) files need "iTUNNORM".

Comment

• Makaveli84
                • Apr 2011

A quite late input, and this has probably been fixed, but just confirming what has been said here: ITUNNORM for aac/m4a and COMMENT ITUNNORM for mp3.

On a similar issue, the same concept applies for gapless tags, in theory. For example, iTunes checks mp3 files for COMMENT ITUNSMPB. In the case of LAME encoded mp3 files, it reads the LAME Tag for gapless playback and transforms it into a COMMENT ITUNSMPB. This means that for best compatibility with Apple hardware, encoding software (such as dbpoweramp) should do the same and apply a post encoding COMMENT ITUNSMPB tag to mp3 files. This is especially needed for the ability to transfer gapless mp3s to some (maybe all) Apple devices using third-party tools rather than iTunes (tools that may not mimic iTunes' behavior of transforming the LAME gapless tag into a COMMENT ITUNSMPB one).

Comment

Working...

]]>