title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using Asset on a NAS

Using Asset on a NAS

Hi,I recently bought a streamer (naim unitilite) for streaming music files intending to stream them all from a nas. I bought a western digital one but the media server software did not appear to be of any use. I then found asset and downloaded it onto my laptop and this works great (laptop hooked up to broadband via Ethernet which then sends wireless signal to streamer). However I would prefer to be able to stream from a nas so that I don't have to log on my laptop every time I want to play music. Is it possible to download asset onto a nas drive and then when the nas is on (ie and there is no laptop switched on) it will be recognised by the streamer and the music files can be accessed ? I'm not particularly PC literate! When asset is on the laptop I can go into the configuration tool and run manual updates, make amendments and see what's what etc however how would all that be possible if it was on a nas as that is just a drive ? Many thanks.

Administrator

Re: Using Asset on a NAS

Asset is in testing on QNAP NASs, but is early days for the testing.

Another option is a Raspberry PI, they are very cheap ($40), and would read from your WD NAS.

Thanks, i like the sound of the Raspberry PI option. Is there anything particular i would need to know to achieve this ? I see they sell them with pre installed SD card containing NOOBS and a choice of 6 operating systems but they recommend the Raspbian one. Is it ok to go with that op system ? anything else i need to do ? Cheers !

Administrator

Yes that is right, you choose raspbian on startup.

Thanks. which version of Asset should i download ie 8, 7, Vista etc as the op system on the Raspberry PI is not Windows ?
    Presumably i need to download another copy of Asset, or is it allowable to copy the existing version i have on my PC (Vista)
    onto the SD Card of the Raspberry. Many thanks again.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

Thanks, I got this up and running and it works perfectly. I see that it is a 30 day trial version and it is now down to 1 day (I meant to come back to you earlier). What happens at the end of the trial / how do i purchase a permanent version ? Thanks again.

Hi, this all works perfectly on the raspberry however the 30 day trial version has now expired, how do I buy a permanent version of Asset for the raspberry ? I can't see it on the website. Cheers. Gregor.

Administrator

It is not released just yet, so cannot be purchased (sorry).

is there any way in which I can still use this at the present time ? or do I have to wait until there is a permanent version for sale ? (when approx is that likely to be) ?

Administrator

Hopefully the MAC and Pi version of Asset will release soon. We cannot offer something for sale which we are not totally convinced it is ready for being sold (we as a company do not beta-test with the end users, as many companies do).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Hopefully the MAC and Pi version of Asset will release soon. We cannot offer something for sale which we are not totally convinced it is ready for being sold (we as a company do not beta-test with the end users, as many companies do).
    So is there any way for this poor soul to continue using the Pi version of Asset until you decide whether or not to sell the program? I was thinking of taking this route, but if you were to leave me hanging after 30 days, why would I even consider going to the trouble?

Administrator

Asset has fully released on Pi, MAC and QNAP NAS.