title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Will CD-r albums show up in AccurateRip....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Will CD-r albums show up in AccurateRip....

Hi all

Something I have not thought of until now.... I will soon be ripping my collection of coming on 2,500 CDs. There are a fair few CD-rs amongst them; some I've been given, some of which I've burnt myself.

Will the fact that they are cd-r rather than original mean they won't show up as a match with AccurateRip? Does it depend on how unscratched the original CD was at the time the copy was made? Is there more to it? Or will it not show up no matter what?

Many thanks

Max
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Will CD-r albums show up in AccurateRip....

Depends how they were made, if an exact copy they will show up in AccurateRip.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2013

I'm not sure if I am qualified enough to know whether the ones I have done were an exact copy! I use Ashampoo 6, and for the most part I use "Copy CD" from the main menu screen. I can't think of a way of making a more exact copy in that software. So hopefully all will be good.

I guess where I was going with my question was..... If the original CD was quite scratched, I then made a copy, and in time that copy became scratched, there would in effect be the "copied" scratched and the "new" scratches. And I wasn't sure if that would mean that the original CD would not be recoverable and would therefore not match up in AccurateRip. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

If the table-of-contents is identical, the CD will show up in AccurateRip regardless of what the actual audio is. Only upon ripping you will see whether the audio matches.

Comment

• Max Dread
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2013

Hi

OK, I've grabbed a few CD-rs at random. These ones were all NOT in AR:

Primus - Green Naugahyde
          Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
          Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
          Obituary - World Demise
          Obituary - Cause of Death
          Blueneck - The FallenHost

These ones were in AR:

Muse - Origin of Symmetry
          Godflesh - Hymns

So it's looking like some of the CDs were not an "exact copy". I'm presuming there is nothing I can do about it? No setting I can change so that AR is able to recognise some of these CDs? Please do let me know if there is!

PLAN B: if there is nothing I can do, there is another option. Most of my CD-rs were copied from my brother. We used to share our collection, so when we split it up we copied what the other one kept. So the other option would be to get all the originals from my brother and use them instead....

Am I right in saying that if I did that the process would be a lot quicker because it wold check against AR in the first instance? I'm guessing that when a CD is not in AR, it can potentially still be ripped without errors but it is a much slower/longer process. Is that right?

Thanks once again for all the great support.

Max

Comment

• Max Dread
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2013

Just bumping this now that I have tried more CD-rs (when I say tried, I mean I have inserted them and DBPA has reported "Not in AR". I've not actually ripped them.). Pretty much all of them are showing as "Not in AR".

Is this normal for CD-rs? Could it be something to do with the drives and/or SW I used? Most CDs were done on either a Pioneer DVR-215D or DVR-216D. I use ashampoo 6.

Any thoughts on what the norm is with Cd-rs (or what is going on with my CD-rs) would be most helpful.

Many thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Yes it is normal, because an exact copy is not made (with same pre track 1 lead in length), same gaps, etc.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2013

OK. Cheers.

I've been reading more and I'm guessing it is the difference in drive offsets? Is that what you mean by "pre track 1 lead in length"? If so, is there anything that can be done in this situation or do I have to just go straight to Secure Rip (no AR referencing) for such discs?

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Max Dread
                  OK. Cheers.

I've been reading more and I'm guessing it is the difference in drive offsets? Is that what you mean by "pre track 1 lead in length"? If so, is there anything that can be done in this situation or do I have to just go straight to Secure Rip (no AR referencing) for such discs?
                  let it go to the secure rip (which it should do automatically when it doesn't find it in AR), or get the CDs back and rip the original. Probably not much difference either way. Also keep in mind that not ALL CDs are in AR. I have some offbeat CDs that are not in AR. But I do the secure rip and all is fine.

Comment

• crawler9
                    • Mar 2013

I use dBpoweramp exclusively for most of my rips (for the music themselves; I like to keep a noncompliant CUE sheet generated by Exact Audio Copy in case I want to burn a copy of my discs to listen somewhere I don't have the ability to use digital audio because I don't like to use my original discs and risk damaging them), but for reburned discs (that don't show up in AccurateRip because they are not exact copies), I typically use dBpoweramp to ultrasecurely rip all tracks to wav, use Exact Audio Copy to create a CUE Sheet for the CD, plug the CUE + files into CUETools and attempt to repair any differences in the tracks. Often, I'll end up with tracks marked accurate once again, which I reburn to disc using the CUESheet in Exact Audio Copy with a properly configured write-offset, and then re-rip with AccurateRip in dBpoweramp. If your files still will not show as accurate, and you aren't sure of the source of the files, you may be dealing with reburned lossy files. If you know the source of your disc, and are certain they are truely lossless files copied from another disc using a full disc copy of the original as opposed to lossy rips that have been reburned to disc, you can skip the following step, but if you aren't sure and care about audio quality, you can convert your files to WAV and use Trader's Little Helper to test the WAV files for MPEG content (i.e. lossy files that have been converted to FLAC, artificially inflated, and are missing the original audio quality regardless of format or file size.)

Granted, you could just securely rip to your audio format of choice and be done with it. I'm just a little OCD about my music collection.
                    Last edited by crawler9; 01-18-2014, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• shaboo
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Max Dread
                      Any thoughts on what the norm is with Cd-rs (or what is going on with my CD-rs) would be most helpful.
                      This usually depends more on the software (less on the hardware) you used to rip and burn your CD-R. Exact Audio Copy, for example, was developed especially for Digital Audio Extraction, and, properly configured, will always produce exact copies, that can be found in AR. But there are also other, generic copy programs, like CloneCD, which also produce exact copies, although they weren't specifically designed for DAE. Seven or eight years ago I ripped and burned about 30 or 40 CDs using CloneCD. A few days ago I verified all these CDs with the AR database and was surprised to find that all discs were absolutely perfect copies (except for an offset of 600 on all discs, which was due to the fact that CloneCD doesn't offer offset correction methods).

Comment

• Max Dread
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2013

Thanks shaboo. I have mostly used Ashampoo 6 and this programme clearly does not make an exact copy. I really like the software and have never made coasters when using it. But hardly any of my CDs are showing up in AR....

Comment

Working...

]]>