title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ripping a CD that persistantly gets errors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sossity
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2010

ripping a CD that persistantly gets errors

I have a hard to find CD that I have tried many times to get a rip without errors, but so far nothing has worked. I have even sent the CD in for a resurfacing, tried with different CD drives, polishing etc.

I know this cd is probably a lost cause, but wonder of anybody had any other suggestions. I would just simply get another copy, but so far I have not been able to find another copy of it, it seems to be hard to find. It has been played alot.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ripping a CD that persistantly gets errors

Sometimes you have to just rip in burst and look at the audio in an editor for pops.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sossity
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2010

What editor should I use? I use both mac & windows, preferably a free editor.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Audacity
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sossity
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2010

Another thing I noticed is when I play back the ripped flac file of the album, I do not hear any bumps or skips, so the errors may be microscopic.

This particular album was a live recording, I also found a copy disc of the album, but it was by a different company, or a greek promo version, the songs are the same, but in a different track order from the original. After ripping the greek version to flac, I tried to put the tracks in the order of the original disc, but it did not work, how would I get the songs in the original order and playback like the original album seamlessly.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Most CD drives interpolate the errors to silence.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sossity
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2010

Ok, but I do not have interpolate errors checked in the secure settings of the Cd ripper.

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sossity
                I do not have interpolate errors checked in the secure settings of the Cd ripper.
                You should normally keep that off. It makes dBpoweramp interpolate entire frames, and that is very much audible - it is not the same as what your drive does, it would normally interpolate much smaller portions.

To deal with doubtful CDs, the best advice is to have two different CD-ROM drives (I mean, two different brands, not merely two different units) - they will read "unreadable" bits differently, and if you are lucky one sounds less annoying than the other.

Also, the CUETools database might help to actually recover, provided that the errors aren't too many and that someone has submitted their correction data: http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/CUETools_Database . I have 25 CD rips that have been repaired that way. Again, you increase your chances by ripping with two different drives.

Spoon maintains a database over drives by "accuraterip accuracy rate": http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...racy-List-2013 Problem is, manufactorers change model numbers often.

Comment

Working...

]]>