title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with HDCD effect under Windows 7.

Problems with HDCD effect under Windows 7.

Hey,

I'm having some REAL issues getting HDCD to work; and I'm hoping someone else here has had this same issue.

I'm running windows 7 home premium; in fact, I used my restore disc last week because the previous install was pushing 4 years and kind of sloppy. I now have an issue with the HDCD effect not working; at all. When I tell dbPoweramp to decode files I know are HDCD; it doesn't try to even render the DSP. It doesn't throw any warnings; but prior to the reinstall, issuing an HDCD effect would decode the file to a temp directory and run hdcd.exe; you could tell it was doing this too. During the process, it says *nothing* about the HDCD effect; it just writes a file.

I tried running both a backup copy of HDCD from command-line and the program just hangs. I don't get any prompts or help; it just sits there and does nothing. Same with the hdcd.exe included with dbPoweramp.

Anyone have any idea why this exe isn't wanting to run? I haven't yet copied it in to my XP virtual machine to try it; but that's my next step since right now I want to find out if this CD actually is HDCD and not mislabeled.

-Jay

Administrator

Re: Problems with HDCD effect under Windows 7.

If HDCD is hanging, then either the program is corrupted, or you have security software which is blocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If HDCD is hanging, then either the program is corrupted, or you have security software which is blocking it.
    *Disregard; I'm a moron sometimes.*

I took the CD I ripped and re-ripped a track with another ripper directly to WAV; dbPoweramp still reported it as 16-bit since HDCD did nothing to help. I downloaded the HDCD component for foobar and loaded the tracks with it; it reported HDCD as not being on any of those tracks...even the reripped one. I grabbed a FLAC off the network that I know for sure was HDCD; it worked fine. dbPoweramp was able to create a 24-bit WAV from it.

So, it looks more like I'm dealing with a CD that's labeled HDCD but someone did something to it along the lines to destroy the HDCD information. I'm gonna find an original retail copy and see if that has the same issue.

I'd also forgotten (as I hadn't needed to CLI hdcd in a while); that I needed to actually append -h to the end to bring up the commands; running it by itself just pipes from stdin; giving you a blank screen.
    Last edited by dewdude; 12-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
    looks more like I'm dealing with a CD that's labeled HDCD but someone did something to it along the lines to destroy the HDCD information
    Or rather, that the HDCD logo was printed on it without it ever having been a HDCD. You might also have encountered a "HDCD but no HDCD features used" as not being a HDCD ... that is a bit confusing.

Anyway, for lossless formats I do not convert. I leave the HDCDs as they are and let fb2k with foo_hdcd decode upon playback. I gave some reasons in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/archive/...p?t-27540.html and a thread I linked to there.