title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Finding 'Asset' a bit confusing

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Finding 'Asset' a bit confusing

Kind of confusing stuff here... Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a bit more lost with a bit less money each time I try what many tout as the good or Great Audio software.

• Did I download the right pkg?
    • Is it on and working?
    • Is it any different than anything else I've tried?

There are 4 options on the d/l page - I d/l'd the first one as I'm currently using Win 7 (paid for) very little information differentiating the differing pkg's.

Is it working, does it stay working? - If I click OKAY. It disappears. Sometimes it shows up in the Task manager when I look for it, but not always. Does it load or start automatically on STARTUP, I see it's already in the startup folder but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere until I click on it. Also, what happens to it if it is running and the NAS drive shuts down for the evening, then re-starts automatically? Is this a problem for Asset?

I haven't noticed anything different from the other server softwares I've used apart from the lack of ability to see folders/files. Or is that the BubbleUPnp control app I'm using... Can't really tell what is doing what.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Finding 'Asset' a bit confusing

Asset does not show anything when it runs, it does not need to, as it is a server.

Your options are correct, Asset has scanned your music and is set to automatically start when you start your computer.

You would use a Control Point, like BubbleUPnP to connect to Asset.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Balderick View Post
    .......Also, what happens to it if it is running and the NAS drive shuts down for the evening, then re-starts automatically? Is this a problem for Asset?.......
    Thanks for the reply Spoon. This is typically what I have to resolve each day. My Control Point (BubbleUPnP) sees Zero tracks and I have to check see if Asset is still running.

It is but shows no tracks and far more albums.

Any idea what the issue is? My thought is, as I queried yesterday, that my NAS shutdown and restart (via timer) wreaks havok on the server software. Does this seem unusual?

Clicking "Restart Asset" does fix it after an hour of counting and detecting changes. I thought Asset would only detect changes and not restart the process from scratch.

Administrator

Yes if your nas shuts down it would remove the tracks, asset needs the tracks to always be available.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Spoon;140569]Yes if your nas shuts down it would remove the tracks, asset needs the tracks to always be available.[/QUOTE

Okay that makes sense. I would have thought Asset would take a snapshot or some other method of matching changes to the data should there be any interruption in communication.

Could you tell me why Asset seems to always come up with a different quantity of tracks and albums after each Rescan? If you notice each screenshot, they are vastly different in counts.

Last edited by Balderick; 12-15-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Administrator

You have asset scanning only one location?

What is the true number of tracks you have?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You have asset scanning only one location?

What is the true number of tracks you have?
    My NAS has the following directory tree and Asset is only watching the 4 subfolders within the MUSIC Folder.
    Those 4 directories contain approx 43,752 audio files, give or take. Not sure if Asset counts .M3U files, or other files such as .jpg, .nfo and .txt or whatever else may be in a folder. (Does it count the Folders themselves)??

It does NOT scan any other computer or folder, at least that's what I intended.

I only looked for the common filetypes - mp3, m4*, flac, ogg, wma, wav, and a few others not worth mentioning.

The only reason I have Asset looking into 4 libraries is that I did not know any other way to show each folder by itself. I generally don't want to see anything other than the stuff in the CHRISTMAS folder during December. Other times of the year I don't want to see any of the CHRISTMAS stuff. Just as an example.

Administrator

It is possible the previous indexing was interrupted, if it shows 43K files then they are all indexed.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Today I went to use my Control Point (BubbleUPnP) and found no songs in any of the folders. So I figured it was an issue, as we had discussed, based on my NAS shutting down and maybe Asset did not rebuild the library/DB.

So I went to my computer to restart Asset or hit the DETECTING CHANGES button, only to find that my Asset Icon on my Start menu was no longer valid. So i went to another shortcut only to find it invalid too. I went to the program menu and found that only the ASSET UPnP HELP file was the only thing in it.

WTF?!?!? I found the directory (below) within Windows but could not get anything to work from there. Any ideas?

This is now the 3rd time this has happened. The first 2 times I figured were my fault not doing something correctly and ignored them.. now I feel otherwise.

BB

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Actually I was mistaken. It does seem that Asset is running in the background as expected. I just have no control of it via the configuration.

Administrator

Try restarting your computer, then use Windows file explorer to browse to your nas, if a password page pops up then Asset no longer has access to the nas (as a password is required).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try restarting your computer, then use Windows file explorer to browse to your nas, if a password page pops up then Asset no longer has access to the nas (as a password is required).
    I did re-boot my computer. MY NAS is a synology DS2013 and while it is password protected to access via web browser, I have never had to use the password to access the folders via Windows Explorer.

I re-installed Asset and changed my NAS settings to run 24-7. I also mapped the drives onto my computer as opposed to accessing them from the Network level in Win-Explorer.

I don't recall ever having to enter the password to access the DS2013 from Win-Explorer......