title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Drive

Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Drive

[COLOR="*0000FF"]Hi everyone,
    Ripped a bunch of CDs to a hard drive on my PC using dbPoweramp, ASUS and Lite-on DVD drives, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio (driver is up to date) and Seagate 1TB hard drive (approx. 1 year old).

Playback chain uses HDMI-out on Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 (nVidia HD Audio drivers) feeding into HDMI input on Pioneer plasma TV, then from Pioneer's Optical-out to Bifrost DAC for D-to-A decoding, then analog out to Audio Research pre-amp, then to amp. and speakers.

If volume is set to moderately loud a noticeable "crack" or "tch" sound is clearly audible the instant before a track begins to play.

This unpleasant noise does not occur if i just play the actual CD in either DVD drive.

Is this a known problem with dbPoweramp? If not, then i have a tedious troubleshooting road ahead!

Can anyone shed some light on this weird problem? [/COLOR]
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 12-11-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Administrator

Re: Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Dr

Re: Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Dr

Thanks very much. i'll check it out. The players are VLC and sometimes Windows Media Player. Since the annoying Crack sound happens with both i'm wondering if the Bifrost D-to-A converter might be the culprit?

OK, the forum thread you referenced suggests to disable ID tagging for wave files. i haven't made any changes yet, but i wonder if you can give me some idea of what i will lose if i disable ID tagging? i mean do i lose all track info or just the "keyword" type info?
    Also, i'm guessing that if i disable ID tagging for wave files it will only affect tracks i rip in the future, not the ones i've already ripped. Is that correct?
    And, can you suggest a media player which will simply not produce the Crack noise between tracks?
    Regards.

Administrator

It only changes tracks you rip in the future.

You would lose the keywords (artist, album, etc).

I would recommend ripping to FLAC and use Foobar2000 for playback.