title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

how do i convert wma files to mp3 files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drink Pimp

Re: how do i convert wma files to mp3 files?

Thanks for the info, just thought a quick note, i had a file with DRM protection for which i held a licence that i had downloaded from the internet.

Windows media player allowed me to burn it to an audio cd, from which the track could be instantly ripped back to an Mp3 using any decent ripping program. Musicmatch works a treat, and winamp as slow as it is also works.

So yeh it seems kind of stupid of microsoft to allow such an easy way to overcome the protection of these files.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Drink Pimp
      Thanks for the info, just thought a quick note, i had a file with DRM protection for which i held a licence that i had downloaded from the internet.

Windows media player allowed me to burn it to an audio cd, from which the track could be instantly ripped back to an Mp3 using any decent ripping program. Musicmatch works a treat, and winamp as slow as it is also works.

So yeh it seems kind of stupid of microsoft to allow such an easy way to overcome the protection of these files.
      You were only able to burn the audio cd for the wma file with DRM BECAUSE you had the license. The problems mostly revolve around people who have files with DRM and don't have the license - either never had it or lost it somehow. Also of course for those who don't like the idea of burning an audio cd first for whatever reason, whether they have the license or not, outright conversion is not possible with ordinary tools.

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2004

For what it's worth, I had absolutely no problem converting downloaded Napster files form WMA to Wave using dBPowerAmp so that I could burn them to CD. I also just tried converting one directly from WMA to MP3 Lame.....no problem. The same for files ripped from a CD into WMA format and then converting to MP3.
        Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

P.S. I meant to add...."why would one want to convert from one loosy format to another lossy format?" The resulting file is bound to be inferior to the original. Most MP3 players (except iPods) will play WMA files.
          Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Another P.S., I'm afraid. My memory was playing tricks on me. I was NOT able to convert the downloaded Napster files. I had to record them to wave files whilst playing them.....a very cumbersome process if you have many files to convert. Napster uses a proprietary WMA format, not the standard one (according to their website). Apologies for the wrong information.
            Arnie

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by adaywayne
              For what it's worth, I had absolutely no problem converting downloaded Napster files form WMA to Wave using dBPowerAmp so that I could burn them to CD. I also just tried converting one directly from WMA to MP3 Lame.....no problem. The same for files ripped from a CD into WMA format and then converting to MP3.
              Arnie
              Could you please elaborate on what codecs (and versions) you had installed? I can't seem to be able to convert Napster files to MP3.

Comment

• Wayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2002

Arnie (adaywayne) withdrew his statement that he was able to directly convert Napster files to MP3.

It looks like he used the usual method of recording the tracks as wav files, using an application to record them whilst they were being played by another. The 'conversion' takes place in real time. i.e. a five minute track will take 5 minutes to convert to wav.

Wayne

Comment

• Unregistered

I have the same problem, I bought a bunch of cd's off napster, but my mp3 player only plays mp3s. I tried burning them to cd's & then converting them from the cd's back onto the computer as mp3s, but all of the protected songs still won't convert. :-(

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Unregistered (Post #23)-
                    Then your only opton is to see if you can record your tracks off of your sound card as you play them. See this thread from FAQ for dMC:
                    When you can play an audio file in a player on your pc but you cannot convert it to another format, there are 2 possible explanations and solutions for that: 1) You do not have the proper codecs for the file Using the file extension as a guide, go to Codec Central (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm) and download

Best wishes,
                    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>