title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i convert wma files to mp3 files?

Unregistered

Unhappy how do i convert wma files to mp3 files?

Hey!

When I started to file my cds on the computer, I ripped them using Windows Media Player 9.0 (?!?)... I'm not really a computer pro,so I only noticed later, that all my music files are saved as WMA files instead of mp3. Does anybody know how to convert them into MP3s for free? What software do I need and which one works the best?
    Thanks
    e

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: how do i convert wma files to mp3 files?

dBPowerAmp works really really well, is free, and is easy to use. Just make sure you download the WMA codec from Codec Central.

Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Windows/microsoft

Thanks a lot,that was great help!
    XwXiXnXdXoXwXsX

dBpoweramp Guru

and just have to hope none of them were wma protected when you ripped them...

dBpoweramp Guru

Actually, by default, they are protected..

dBpoweramp Guru

ok, well the answer in advance then is as far as i know there is no way to unprotect all those files.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    ok, well the answer in advance then is as far as i know there is no way to unprotect all those files.
    If you dont' mind spend $30 bucks http://www.mediatwins.com/downloads.htm will allow to to convert wma's if they are dmr protected. As long as they are your legal songs!

Administrator

Have you tried it?, does it break the protection? (if so they better have good lawyers, Microsoft are a big company).

Paraguayita

Hi ! You seem to know about MP3's - I purchased songs from Napster and it turned out that they are all WMA with DRM (Protected Files) - Is there any easy way to convert these files into MP3 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Paraguayita
    Hi ! You seem to know about MP3's - I purchased songs from Napster and it turned out that they are all WMA with DRM (Protected Files) - Is there any easy way to convert these files into MP3 ???
    Unfortunately the link to a site that had a program reputed to be capable of cracking the wma drm barrier is now dead.

Sometimes you can burn an audio cd using Windows Media Player and putting all those protected wma files on it. Mind, it has to be an audio cd, not a data cd.

Then try to rip back this cd's tracks using dMC Audio CD Input or dMC directly, saving to whatever file format you like.

If this doesn't work, you can use dMC Auxiliary Input and play the wma files one by one through whatever player plays them (WMP should work if the files are on the pc where you downloaded them when you bought them) and record them to mp3. Refer to thread http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362 in FAQ.

hmmmm Ive tried to convert mine, i installed the codecs but poweramp says it cant convert - anyone know why?

Start with looking at the WMA FAQ's in the Support section here:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-support.htm
    And make sure you have your wma codec properly installed (as per the instructions for that Codec in Codec Central on the page you downloaded the wma codec from).

If the message you get indicates that the file is encrypted you may be able to record the file as you play it in Windows Media Player or try burning the tracks to cd and then ripping them to another format as ChristinaS. suggested in the post just before yours.

If the error message you get indicates that the codec required to compress or decompress cannot be opened, please send us a copy of the error message and an indication of the properties of the file you are trying to convert (format, bitrate, frequency, channels, bit setting) and the wma settings you are trying to convert to.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Rage

Talking Re: Having some travel when converting

When I start converting I select my encoder or codec which is Mp3(MPEG Suite 2000 CLI) but when the real converting starts if shows a screen saying unable to run encoder C:\codec.exe. I am was What should I do? I am new using this software and that's I am having some promblems.

Re: Having some travel when converting

Quote Originally Posted by Rage
    When I start converting I select my encoder or codec which is Mp3(MPEG Suite 2000 CLI) but when the real converting starts if shows a screen saying unable to run encoder C:\codec.exe. I am was What should I do? I am new using this software and that's I am having some promblems.
    Well, have you tried just a Test conversion? This is in the list of dMC codecs, it only tests if it can understand the input file, it doesn't actually convert it to anything.

If that works, maybe you can try to first convert to wav, 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo. If that works, then try to convert the wav to whatever else you wish. Try the different types of mp3 codecs too, in order to see which works best.

Re: Having some travel when converting

Quote Originally Posted by Rage
    It would be helpful to know what format and settings are the file(s) you are trying to convert and the settings you are using for the mp3 files you are trying to create. By settings, I am referring to bitrate, frequecy, number of channels, whether the encoding is variable or average or constant bitrate.

If the test conversion (which ChristinaS. mentionned) does not work, this would suggest possible problems with the file you are trying convert. If you are trying to convert other than cd, wav or mp3 you want to make sure you have the appropriate codec installed so that the program can do the conversion. If you have the right decoder codec installed for your source file to be converted, you might want to make sure you can play the file.

So try out Christina's suggestions and let us know what you find out.
    Best wishes,
    Bill mikkelsen