title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MMC - Faster Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kweller
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

Re: MMC - Faster Scrolling

> (but maybe i am wrong here).

Frayed so. I've posted about it before but decided in the end it was down to the machine it was on or Windows itself rather than an intrinsic slowness in MMC. I have now proved conclusively (to myself anyway!) that it is neither.

> and me questioning your undying for support for Spoon

No, no, no, I'm fickle I'm afraid. Spoon is a nice helpful bloke (Hi Spoon, just ignore me talking about you as if you're not here!) but I use his software because it's the best damn software out there. If there was something better with good support and no move to improve the local offering I'm afraid I'd be off like a shot and I don't think Spoon would want it any other way to be honest.

> it has nothing to do with you personally

Don't worry about it, I'm thick-skinned and rarely take anything personally but we are going to have to stop blowing each other kisses - people will talk!

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

If there was something better with good support and no move to improve the local offering I'm afraid I'd be off like a shot and I don't think Spoon would want it any other way to be honest.
      i would have to disagree with you there. for me there would have to be a reason to want to look elswhere in the first place. if Spoon wasn't advancing any further with the product i would still not leave. but that's not likely because that would go against the very grain of a developer.

i guess i believe in commitment to Spoon and his software. it would take a drastick change of attitude where Spoon lost the plot and turned nasty for me to up and go.

what i am saying is i am here because of Spoon, not because of his audio apps. so if there is a better audio app out there that is 100 times better than dap/dmc it would not be enough for me to go.

Comment

• Joseph
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2002

I was looking at what you had to say about the scrolling thing. iTunes displays less information than DBpowerAmp does.

DBpowerAmp displays:

Artist
        track
        Genre
        Preference (with Graphical Stars)
        Length(Calculated for VBR, iTunes does not correctly calculate length for vbr)
        Album
        Track Number
        Bitrate(Also calculated VBR,)
        kHz
        Size
        FileType(wma, mp3, mpc, mp4, aac, ogg, ape, flac, ect.)
        Channels
        Volume Boost(Also Graphical)
        Year
        Full File Name
        Play Count
        Date Added

iTunes Generally Displays:

Song, Time(incorrect for vbr), Artist, Album & Genre

Now you can see why DBpowerAmp Scrolls slower than iTunes.
        Last edited by Joseph; 10-20-2003, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• kweller
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2002

> iTunes displays less information than DBpowerAmp does.

MMC only displays that amount of information if that's how your system is set up. On mine it displays artist, track, genre, preference, length, album, track, kbps, year and played - that all fits on the screen. If I cut it down even further it makes little difference.

> Now you can see why DBpowerAmp Scrolls slower than iTunes.

No, I'm afraid I don't.
          Last edited by kweller; 10-20-2003, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• kweller
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2002

> if there is a better audio app out there that is 100 times better than dap/dmc
            > it would not be enough for me to go.

The Cult of Spoon. Interesting concept!

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

lol, no there is no Spoon cult following. I have been helping Spoon in a behind the scenes way for a few years. I have spent 100's of hours in maintaining the forum which includes me spending hours tracking down and fixing problems with the support of vbulletin staff. most of which goes unseen even by Spoon. every time the server gets hacked I am there to help re upload and restore the this forum, which involves some SSH/Telnet knowledge and SQL commands that needed to be learned so i could do it.

I set up the current Skin site which involves some knowledge and undestanding "content management systems" and how they work. and also in this case i need to understand a php coder developer when i need to alter the php code to produce a certain featrure or effect or fix something that get's broken.

i am currently testing out new software for the skin site to make it more user friendly for both administration and end user side of things. and god knows how many hours i have spent on that.

i also do the backups for Spoons rioworld community forums.

so i can assure you there is a little more depth to me than a Groupie :D

Comment

• Joseph
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by kweller
                > Now you can see why DBpowerAmp Scrolls slower than iTunes.

No, I'm afraid I don't.
                iTunes Generally displays:

Song, Time(incorrect for vbr), Artist, Album & Genre.

So if you set DBpowerAmp to do the same thing:

Put 0 for everything else, and set,

Track 1
                Length 2
                Artist 3
                Album 4
                Genre 5

you will see scroll speeds similar to iTunes, well I do anyway on my Pentium II 450MHz :smile2:
                Last edited by Joseph; 10-20-2003, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• donny
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Oct 2002

for one ther can be no program that is 100 times better than dAP- maybe 1.01, but that again would be just preferences, so for some it wouldn't be 0.6 of dAP.
                  and yes some of us have a lot of time "invested" in dAP - in skining, in this forum, maintaining our MMCs, - me personally have spent a lot of hours working on the Quemaster - now I know the system better than the most of the users.
                  and on the third hand it would be weird getting used to playlists again

Comment

• kweller
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Apr 2002

> Song, Time(incorrect for vbr), Artist, Album & Genre.

On my system it displays song name, time, artist, album, genre, My Rating, Play Count, Last Played - a very similar number of columns to that displayed by MMC on my system.

I have however found what the problem is and it's nothing to do with MMC at all so I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time and risking being burned at the stake as an MMC Heretic by the Spoon Apostles! ;-)

All it took was for someone to say "iTunes scrolls no quicker than MMC on my machine" (thank you Joseph) to send me back for a closer look as it sure as hell was on my machine however small the number of columns MMC displayed.

Anyway, the culprit was MP3-Info extension. It's such a long time since I installed it I had completely forgotten it was there and just took the informational icons as part of MMC. They don't display in iTunes so there was no impact on display speed. Once that was de-installed MMC scrolling was up to a speed I could cope with (not quite as fast as iTunes though! <g,d&r>).

I'm going to miss those icons...
                    Last edited by kweller; 10-21-2003, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• donny
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Oct 2002

if you are going to miss the icons then why are you shuting them off?
                      It's not all about speed

Comment

• kweller
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2002

In a contest between MMC speed and MMC looking pretty the former wins every time for me.

It's not a major issue, I can still see the icons in Explorer which is where they are most useful; I've just turned off the icon column in MMC.
                        Last edited by kweller; 10-23-2003, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>