title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ABR and VBR sliders

ABR and VBR sliders

i have noticed that there are two sliders (for max and min bitrate) when converting to ABR mp3 and ogg and only one when i want to make a VBR ogg file.
    does it mean i have to choose VBR from the dropdown list to make an ABR ogg file?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    I think this is something related to the Ogg format. But I'm sure MODatic will explain - he's our resident Ogg expert

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    i have noticed that there are two sliders (for max and min bitrate) when converting to ABR mp3 and ogg and only one when i want to make a VBR ogg file.
    That's because VBR Ogg operates as a preset system and has different settings and tweaks for each preset (bitrate value). You can't specify other settings along with the presets.

does it mean i have to choose VBR from the dropdown list to make an ABR ogg file?
    By saying that, you confused me for a bit :confused:. The way the modes are refered to in Ogg Vorbis modes is a bit confusing, so I'll try and help.

VBR specified through dBpowerAMP for Ogg Vorbis is true VBR that's based on the presets I was talking about above.

ABR specified through dBpowerAMP for Ogg Vorbis is telling Vorbis to use managed modes but still is infact VBR but it actually achieves the target bitrate in nearly all cases but is not as good quality-wise as VBR for Ogg.

CBR specified through dBpowerAMP is exactly the same thing thing as ABR for vorbis except it is only specifying a nominal bitrate and not a min, max and nominal like with ABR.

I had doubts because I dindn't know anything about how the vorbis codec works. Now i also understand why sometimes the target bitrate is sometimes far from the actual bitrate of the encoded file.
    I will try to learn more about the vorbis format.

Thanks