title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset UPnP 4.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 falls asleep

Asset UPnP 4.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 falls asleep

Hello All,

I’m running Asset UPnP 4.1 as a service on Windows Server 2012 R2. It installed with no problems and runs well. I’ve configured the server to go to sleep after 45 minutes, which is fine because it does not sleep when I’m using it from a Windows client. However, I have noticed that when streaming music to my network player the server does go to sleep, even in the middle of a track. This is odd.

I’ve checked and can see that Asset-uPNP.exe has made a power request, in this case along with the remote desktop session, and there are now overrides.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
    An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.
    [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.e xe (TermService)
    Remote Desktop Services Power Request
    [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Asset-uPNP.exe

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requestsoverride
    [SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]

C:\Windows\system32>

However, this request does not stop the sever going to sleep. I’ve checked, and when music is not streaming the request is withdrawn, and it is made again music is streaming so the behaviour of Asset-uPNP.exe appears to be as expected from other discussions in the forum.

Any suggestions?

David

Ps. I know running Asset UPnP 4.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 is overkill, but I have a very energy efficient well backed up server, and prefer that to using a separate NAS.

Administrator

Re: Asset UPnP 4.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 falls asleep

Perhaps asset on the account it is running does not have the permissions to stop the sleep.

Re: Asset UPnP 4.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 falls asleep

Thanks for quick response. The service runs on the Local System account, and based on the powercfg /REQUEST results it does successfully make the request. Does Asset UPnP make a request (ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED?) when it starts streaming, or on the start of each track. If the former I'll need to adjust sleep timeout to cover the length of a music session, but if the later it just needs to be as long as the longest track.

Administrator

Re: 122533

The start of a track:

SetThreadExecutionState(ES_CONTINUOUS + ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED);

and on close of track:

SetThreadExecutionState(ES_CONTINUOUS);

Thanks for the response. It's taken a while but I've got pwrtest.exe from the Windows Driver Kit 8.1 running. I used it to trace the requests and they show the requests is being changed a lot, even during a single track. Here's an excerpt from the log made as I started to play a track. The pattern repeated for sometime, with the request being created and opened whilst the track plays. I take it from the response above that this is unexpected behaviour? I have the full log file if that would be useful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    22:19:39 Create: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    Type:Application ProcessID:3592 SessionID:0
    Allow: System AwayMode PerfBoost ExecutionRequired
    Count: System:0 Display:0 AwayMode:0 PerfBoost:0
    ExecutionRequired:0 FullScreenVideo:0
    22:19:39 Change: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    Count: *System:1 Display:0 AwayMode:0 PerfBoost:0
    22:19:39 Change: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    22:19:39 Close: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    22:19:39 Create: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe
    22:19:39 Close: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpowera
    mp\Asset-uPNP.exe

Administrator

Enable the debug log for Asset, there are certain players that instead of request a stream and read the whole stream until the end, they constantly open and close the stream.

I run both Windows Media Player 12 and a Marantz NA7004. Looking at debug logs WMP does show multiple ProcessFileRequest entries per media file being served, whereas with the NA7004 there is just one. There are power requests are created by Asset-uPNP.exe is once per track for the NA7004, but there are multiple with WMP 12.
    However, the problem with the server going to sleep exists with both clients, WMP 12 and NA7004. Looking at the AccruedIdleTime it accumulates to the Sleep threshold, then the server goes to sleep as soon as there is no active request. Using WMP 12 this is very soon after the threshold, but with the NA7004 it&*8217;s when the track that is playing when the threshold is reach ends. So whilst Asset UPnP is sender power requests, the server goes to sleep the moment there is no active request. The logs from pwrtest shows the idle time accrues whilst Asset UPnP is streaming tracks. If the idle timer should reset when a track starts so the server would go to sleep after you stop playing tracks for a period of time equal to the sleep threshold. No idea if that is possible.

David

Sorry, my brain is no in gear this morning. This is exactly the behaviour SetThreadExecutionState(ES_CONTINUOUS + ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED) should have, so I'll need to find out why it is not working in my server.

David