title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Does replay gain have an effect across optical cable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yamaha
    • Nov 2013

Does replay gain have an effect across optical cable?

I just started using Asset UPnP. I used MediaMonkey to analyze volume for my music library. All my music is high quality mp3. I mostly play music on my Yamaha receiver through the Asset UPnP server across an optical cable.

Question - do the settings for replay gain have any impact on music that is transported across the optical line to the receiver?

Sorry for the confusion on my part - still grappling with the analog/digital differences. I suspect that all the interpretation of the digital music is going on at the Yamaha receiver and the replay gain won't have an impact, but I would like to understand the concepts better so I can make the appropriate decisions.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Does replay gain have an effect across optical cable?

Replaygain normally is just a tag value for volume adjust, Asset will not use it unless it told to (and transcodes).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Yamaha
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
      Replaygain normally is just a tag value for volume adjust, Asset will not use it unless it told to (and transcodes).
      Thanks, Spoon - I think I'm getting it.

I have turned on replaygain in Asset and changed mp3 as is to mp3 to mp3. The tag value will be communicated across the optical digital connection to the receiver. Is that correct?

If the receiver is capable of handling that tag then the volume of the various tracks should be adjusted - right?

Thanks again, Spoon - and my apologies for my shaky understanding of the interplay between asset and my receiver.

Still learning . . .

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Asset handles the volume change if you enable it.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>