title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Missing covers (folders) on iTunes

Missing covers (folders) on iTunes

I have a big library of WAV music riped on dbpa that I now have to convert to AIFF (or Apple Lossless), to use on iTunes Mac/OS new machine.
    Althought all conversion from WAV to AIFF - and later, on a second try, to Apple Lossless - were made with dbpa Batch, all of the covers were missed on iTunes once it imported the file.
    I checked "album art" in options > id tags & metadata > options > scroll down to write ID tags options, where I ticked the "Album Art" box, as was advised in another post, but it didn't work.
    Suggestions are very welcome!
    Regards,

audiomrp

Administrator

Re: Missing covers (folders) on iTunes

If you right click one of the Apple Lossless Files >> Edit ID Tags

does the art show?

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you rip the CDs in iTunes? iTunes stores artwork in a separate database. Although there are ways to embed it so that dbpa can use it later.

No, I riped on dbpa. The sequence was as follows: 1st) dbpa: cd to WAV; 2nd) dbpa Batch converter: WAV to AIFF, and 3rd) AIFF fole imported by iTunes. DBPA amd JRiver work wonderfully. The problem shows only with iTunes (no covers, metadat ok).

Thanks for the prompt answer, and sorry for delaying my answer. I was on duty. I'll try with the AIFF files. I'll tell you later the results.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by audiomrp View Post
    No, I riped on dbpa. The sequence was as follows: 1st) dbpa: cd to WAV; 2nd) dbpa Batch converter: WAV to AIFF, and 3rd) AIFF fole imported by iTunes. DBPA amd JRiver work wonderfully. The problem shows only with iTunes (no covers, metadat ok).
    hmmmm. haven't used AIFF files, but I'm thinking that itunes only recognizes embedded art work (which it adds to its own database). I suspect the artwork from ripping and converting is "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" in the subdirectory rather than embedded. Easy enough to use dbpa to embed the artwork in the files at the time of the conversion (assuming AIFF allows this, don't know).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    hmmmm. haven't used AIFF files, but I'm thinking that itunes only recognizes embedded art work (which it adds to its own database). I suspect the artwork from ripping and converting is "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" in the subdirectory rather than embedded. Easy enough to use dbpa to embed the artwork in the files at the time of the conversion (assuming AIFF allows this, don't know).
    That is indeed the case.....iTunes only recognizes embedded artwork for AIFF files. Best to add it during conversion, as you suggest, because AIFF (like other raw PCM formats) is more limited in its metadata options and can be more cumbersome to edit post-rip (primarily due to lack of support by commonly-used programs).

@OP: Unless you have a specific reason for using AIFF, I'd really recommend you reconsider and opt for ALAC as you convert your iTunes library. AIFF files are much larger, have more metadata issues, and have more limited support (in players and editing software). Like WAV, it's hard to justify using AIFF anymore when there are other lossless options that are easier to use.