title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replay Gain - Settings

Re: Replay Gain - Settings

The DSP Replaygain Advanced option has a default Gain Calculation for EBU R128 of -18 LUFS.

However, the DSP Volume Normalizer has EBU R128 defaulting to -23 LUFS, per the documentation, and confirmed by my testing.

I'm wondering if they should both default to -18 ?

Administrator

Potentially they will be at some point, perhaps next release.

Ok, thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out for when that change is made, so that I can re-adjust my volume offset in Volume Normalizer.

Currently I have the offset set to 5 (to get a result of -18 LUFS). If/when you change the default (from -23 to -18), I'll have to be sure to change my 5 to a 0!

I am ripping my CDs using a multi encoder. I add to each encoder the DSP encoder "Replay Gain" by "settings". Additional I configure the index tab "DSP" with "Replay Gain". Is this wrong or can this cause problems? What is the right way to add RG by using multi encoder?

Administrator

The right way is to add ReplayGain only for the encoders, inside of Multi-Encoder.

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is related to a question I have.

I'm trialling the Mac version of DBPoweramp and I just want to confirm that the LUFS should be set to -18. I ask because the CD secure ripping guide shows a default value of -23 but everyone seems to by saying that it should be set to -18.

I don't claim to understand any of this so I rely entirely on the guides that are printed on this site. But I sometimes find that the screenshots in the guides are at odds with the advice on this forum or are ambiguous.

Administrator

-18 is the new standard, as long as all your music is done to the same value it is ok.

I was using the windows version of DBP until a few months ago. I'm not sure what setting was used for those rips. Is there a way I can check?

Administrator

If you have not changed the value, it is likely to be -18, you could re-rip one CD and compare the RG tag values.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you have not changed the value, it is likely to be -18, you could re-rip one CD and compare the RG tag values.
    I probably changed the value to whatever was specified, or implied, in the secure ripping guide at the time I installed DBP.

Cheeky request, would it be possible to update the ripping guides so they are clear about the settings that should be used etc? I'm using the Mac version at the moment, and I know that the replay gain settings page looked nothing like the screenshot that was on the guide at present. Plus the screenshot of the LUFS specified -23, and is why I set mine to that.

Thanks

Administrator

Will do.

Hello,
    I would like to bring my albums with FLAC files to a consistent maximum volume. That's why I want to use Replay Gain. But I do not understand the interaction of "EBU R128" with 89dB and the reference or target volume "-18LUFS".
    I ask for an understandable explanation.
    Many Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wovo View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to bring my albums with FLAC files to a consistent maximum volume. That's why I want to use Replay Gain. But I do not understand the interaction of "EBU R128" with 89dB and the reference or target volume "-18LUFS".
    I ask for an understandable explanation.
    Many Thanks!
    Use of EBU R128 is the "modern" algorithm used for replaygain, and most programs that add replaygain use R128 method (e.g., dbpa, foobar2000). The 89dB reference volume of the original replaygain algorithm is approximately equivalent to "-18LUFS" of the R128 algorithm.

OK - thanks.
    What happens if I set "-15LUFS" with NOT disabled CLIP-Prevention?
    Have I still enough reserve before CLIP-Prevention works?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wovo View Post
    OK - thanks.
    What happens if I set "-15LUFS" with NOT disabled CLIP-Prevention?
    Have I still enough reserve before CLIP-Prevention works?
    with -15, you'll have a louder average sound. Whether anything clips depends upon how the tracks are mastered (so it depends). Some CDs are very loud and clip (red hot chli peppers californication cd comes to mind). I personally use -18 and do not disable clip prevention.