title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Naming algorithm failing with semicolons

Naming algorithm failing with semicolons

I'm having an issue with naming that did not give me a problem in the past. I'm using the album field to set my folder name. When I include a semicolon as part of the folder name then everything after the semicolon is ignored. For example I wanted this folder name:

ARCHIPHON 119-20; 78s and Radio recordings

but all I get on hard drive is this:
    ARCHIPHON 119-20

If I use a different character instead of a semicolon then I get the entire folder name. I used to be able to have semicolons as part of folder names without the rest of the folder name being cut off. I only noticed this problem recently despite my not having changed my naming algorithm at all. Here's what I have in the Naming box:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[Disc]-[track] [IFCOMP][artist] - [] [composer] - [title]

When I test this out within DB Poweramp on current metadata it reproduces the error by cutting the album name off after the semicolon.

Administrator

Re: Naming algorithm failing with semicolons

Semi colons are used to separate multi items, such as artists, ie artist1; artist2

Which audio format are you using?

dBpoweramp Guru

Also, under the CDRipper options check:

1. Character / Word Replacement
    2. File Name Restricted Characters

and make sure you are not replacing semi-colon with an invalid filename character

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Semi colons are used to separate multi items, such as artists, ie artist1; artist2

Which audio format are you using?
    I'm using the semicolon in the Album field and I'm ripping ordinary CDs into flac format. The problem affects the directory path and filename. Instead of a folder named ARCHIPHON 119-20; 78s and Radio recordings I'm instead getting a folder named ARCHIPHON 119-20. It didn't used to be like that.

mvile: No I am not replacing semicolons in the restricted characters settings.

Administrator

Will mark as a bug.

Can you tell us when the next bug fix update will be coming? Having to manually rename the directory of every CD I rip is incredibly annoying.

Administrator

I fixed this 3 days ago, next beta is only days away. R15 is being prepared for being a release candidate.

I have this same problem again. I thought this issue has been fixed 5 years ago.

If I'm using a semicolon in the artist field I get only the string up to the semicolon in my folder and file names.

For example: 'Maier; Collegium Aureum/Maier; Collegium Aureum.flac' is transformed into 'Maier/Maier.flac'

Very disappointing that bugs that have been fixed long ago, have been reintroduced later.

Is there a workaround for this?

I guess I found the workaround:

Under 'DSP' I added the DSP Effect 'ID Tag Processing'. In the settings of 'ID Tag Processing' I went to 'Manipulation' and marked 'Multiple Artists to 'Artist 1; Artist 2' (for non multiple artist aware programs)

Then I ripped again and it worked correctly. Will reply again to this thread, if this shouldn't work everytime. But it looks good now.

dBpoweramp Guru

Glad you found a workaround. When ";" is used in tag fields that allow multiple entries (such as the ARTIST tag), the file naming string will use the first entry (as it did in your example). This is desired behavior if one is using multiple entries. (actually in the case of FLAC files with two artists in tag, two different ARTIST tags are written to the file, with each containing one of the two multi-artist entries)