title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ppeytonn
    • May 2009

Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

I am trying to move my Batch Ripper installation to a new machine running Windows 7-64. I have installed the Media Changer Driver and the system passes all of the tests, but when I attempt to RIP a group of discs they cycle in an out of the changer as 'unrecognized". The drive inside the changer is recognized only as "Firewire DVD,' however it will work (play) through WMP.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

I do not think these devices work in Windows 7 properly.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ppeytonn
      • May 2009

Thank you, Mr. Spoon. I'm afraid you're right, but I'll wait to see if anyone else weighs in just in case. The alternatives are costly--doubly so as I couldn't sell the Sonys in good conscience.
      ppp

Comment

• fwiw
        • Jan 2015

Anybody had any success moving to Windows 7 or beyond with the Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B?
        I'm having a great time ripping my collection under XP, but am afraid to move beyond given
        the comments on this thread. These Sony boxes are available on ebay for under $200 all day long,
        and I think they'd be in tremendous demand if people knew what they could do with them.

One suggestion that I found online was to roll back to the legacy Firewire driver under Win 7.

Fix FireWire Driver (IEEE 1394) problems Windows 10 and 11. (Also for Windows 7 and 8) Download and Install the Microsoft Firewire OHCI Legacy Drive and Firewire cards. Solve IEEE 1394 Problem in Windows 10 and 11. Written by David Knarr, Studio 1 Productions Inc. Port Orange, FL

If I had a Win 7 system with Firewire I'd definitely give it a try..... Anybody know?

Thanks!

Comment

• milosz
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by fwiw
          Anybody had any success moving to Windows 7 or beyond with the Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B?
          I'm having a great time ripping my collection under XP, but am afraid to move beyond given
          the comments on this thread. These Sony boxes are available on ebay for under $200 all day long,
          and I think they'd be in tremendous demand if people knew what they could do with them.

One suggestion that I found online was to roll back to the legacy Firewire driver under Win 7.

Fix FireWire Driver (IEEE 1394) problems Windows 10 and 11. (Also for Windows 7 and 8) Download and Install the Microsoft Firewire OHCI Legacy Drive and Firewire cards. Solve IEEE 1394 Problem in Windows 10 and 11. Written by David Knarr, Studio 1 Productions Inc. Port Orange, FL

If I had a Win 7 system with Firewire I'd definitely give it a try..... Anybody know?

Thanks!
          Mine worked on Windows 7 /64 and continues to work on Windows 10 /64

Comment

• Speigo
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by fwiw

Thanks!
            I have run the Sony changers with dbPoweramp Batch Ripper XP, Win 7, Win 8.1, and now Win 10 Pro. The process I use when setting up a newer system is to install the original changer software that came with the device (also down loadable from Sony website) the run the Vista upgrade (also downloadable fro Sony Website) in compatibility mode to get the upgraded drivers. When those two steps have been completed I rollback the firewire driver (not sure if the sequence is critical).

Power on the changer and when it is visible in the H/W device list under both CD/DVD drives and medium changers I then configure the drive in Batch Ripper configuration.

This has worked for me in all the later generation Win OS's.

Comment

• Pdawg
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by milosz
              Mine worked on Windows 7 /64 and continues to work on Windows 10 /64
              Hello! Sorry to necro this thread, but I am in a pickle. Do you happen to have said drivers to make the Sony VGP-XL1b work on windows 10? I am having a terrible time.

Comment

• sonyguy
                • Oct 2021

follow this

Comment

Working...

]]>