title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Album artist tag

Album artist tag

Hello,
    Hope someone can help with this great application!
    With compilation albums I seem to get inconsistencies in how 'artist' appears on the main streaming device I use - Marantz AV receiver.
    So specifically, as far as I can tell all my compilation albums have 'artist' field assigned the actual artist, whilst album artist is 'Various Artists'.
    Now when streamed to the AVR, it shows, track name, artist and album. Some compilation albums show various artists as the artist, whilt some albums show the actual artist. No matter how I look at the tags, I can't seem to see an obvious difference!

Administrator

Re: Album artist tag

Compilation value? 1 or 0 (or missing)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Compilation value? 1 or 0 (or missing)
    Yes I tried this - the album that correctly shows artist name has the compilition tag as 1
    I also set this to an album that didn't show artist correctly and it made no different

I guess this is related... I have been testing Asset UPnP on my TS-869Pro QNAP and my Mac for a while now and I find it awesome. What I miss though, is an option to sort the artists according to the Album Artist tag and if it is not available, then default to the Artist tag.

That would allow to group records by certain criteria. For example I have 24 different bands for Fela Kuti and I might like to find all the albums under the entry "Fela Kuti" so that it would not get in the way of my browsing of other "F" bands. When I want to find a Fela Kuti record, it would also make it easier to go under Fela Kuti instead of trying to remember what was the actual band name that recorded it.

Hi,
    I too have the same problem as kaled.
    I have just started to use the beta version on my QNAP 212 and when I look under Artist/Album, I get the individual artists included, with 70ish albums in my Various (Compilations) folder, whilst under Twonky there are 300 Various Albums.
    I ripped them to the NAS under XLD and ticked the Compilation box.

P.S. could someone tell me where the Compilation Value can be found to be changed?

Thanks

Administrator

The compilation is saved to the ID Tags, normally with a value of 1 for a compilation.