title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batch Ripper - newbie questions

Batch Ripper - newbie questions

Apologies if some of this is basic

I've been using an older version of the format converter and CD ripper for a long time and have always found them excellent. However, I need to convert a load of .wma files to flac, as my music server player won't handle .wma above 192kbps, but can handle lossless FLAC.

So I purchased the full R14 Converter, but can't see how the Batch converter works.

I open a folder (either from the file list with a right click, or with Batch Converter itself), but can see nowhere to specify output folders or output format.

There must be something simple missing (and not just part of my brain)

Thanks,

Keiron.

Administrator

Re: Batch Ripper - newbie questions

When you click 'Convert' then you specify encoder + path.

Thanks, Spoon.

Aye, but there's the rub. I click on Convert, and the screen blinks, and then stays as it is. I get nothing else - no option to enter or define anything else. This happens if I click Convert on the screen header, or if I list the files, select them and click convert on the screen footer. Nothing else appears. It feels as though a component is missing.

Maybe I'll uninstall and try again.

Keiron.

Administrator

If Batch Converter hides then it is still processing files (if you had 1000's). Try with only a few files selected first to get the process.

Spoon, thanks.

I'm trying with just one folder, containing a subfolder with one album (12 tracks). It just doesn't do anything or present any option to specify output destination nor format. The files are Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless with a sample rate of 48Khz and 24 bit sample size.

I open Batch Converter (doesn't matter whether I do a right click on the file folder, or open and then select the folder).

Click on Convert, or list the files (which display) and click on convert.

Nothing happens. Nada. Zilch.

This is just one folder with one subfolder with 12 wma tracks

I've uninstalled Batch converter and re-installed.

Oh, it works fine with Music Converter when I select individual files - no problems. It's the batch bit that doesn't do anything.

Hmm.

May use NCH Switch Sound File Converter Instead. Seems to do batch conversion for my wma files to flac without any problems at all.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can you do a test of batch converter where the files you are selecting are NOT wma files. This will determine whether it is the nature of the files being converted that is causing the problem. What happens if you select some FLAC files to batch convert. Do you get the correct display with options?

Hi Garym

I've tried batch converting flac files as well as mp3s. It makes no difference. And I've also successfully converted some of the wma files using the standalone Music Converter. No problems at all.

I like the range of products illustrate provide (Asset is excellent as a UPnP music server) and I like the range of coding options with the converter. But this is so frustrating.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Keironbrown View Post
    I'm trying with just one folder, containing a subfolder with one album (12 tracks). It just doesn't do anything or present any option to specify output destination nor format. The files are Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless with a sample rate of 48Khz and 24 bit sample size.
    Just tried this on a folder with a sub-folder containing wma 9.2 lossless 48kHz 24-bit with no problems (Windows 7 64-bit).

What OS? Does this work for you for flac or mp3 files?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Keironbrown View Post
    Hi Garym

I've tried batch converting flac files as well as mp3s. It makes no difference. And I've also successfully converted some of the wma files using the standalone Music Converter. No problems at all.

I like the range of products illustrate provide (Asset is excellent as a UPnP music server) and I like the range of coding options with the converter. But this is so frustrating.
    Hmmmm, something odd is going on. It *should* work easily. What are you running dbpa on? A windows machine or a Mac with parallels? What Windows version? Where are the wma files actually located? On the same computer running dbpa (or a USB connected external drive). Or are the files on a NAS or some other network connected storage location?

Administrator

An uninstall, reboot of computer and reinstall might help.

If not, which security software do you have? it is possible it is blocking batch converter opening music converter.

Thanks all.

I've got a feeling that it may be something to do with the file properties and/or the OS, but everything works OK with the standalone Music Converter, which just adds to the confusion.

Anyway, it's a bog standard Wintel machine running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. The wma files are on a standard 1 Tb internal sata drive; I want to write to another directory on the same drive. The software is running on the home c: drive.

Properties for example file below:

Artist Cream
    Title Badge
    Album Strange Brew - The Very Best Of Cream
    Track 1
    Disc 1/1
    Genre Rock; Blues
    Year 1983
    Rating
    Composer
    Size 32.87 MB (28% Compressed)
    Original Size 45.58 MB
    Length 2 minutes 45 seconds
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate 48 KHz;
    Sample Size 24 bit
    Bit Rate 2,304 kbps (DVD)
    Encoder Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless
    Encoder Settings VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR
    Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
    Contains Album Art, ID Tag [WMA ID Tag]
    Channel Mapping
    File 01 Badge
    Type Windows Media Audio file [.wma]

Maybe a lot of detailed experimentation may throw something up. but as garym says, this should work. And life may be too short!

Oh, should have mention Windows Service Pack 1

Spoon. Will look at Norton just in case.