title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using DMC to rip CD's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckard
    • Jun 2005

Using DMC to rip CD's?

I have always ripped CD's by right-clicking CDA files and choosing "Convert To" instead of launching CD Ripper, etc.
    I noticed today I am getting only 2.5x Encoding Speed using FLAC Level 5.
    Is this just a limitation of my drive or is it because I am not using CD Ripper?
    I would think they ultimately use the same engine, but should I not be doing it this way?
    Thanks!
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Using DMC to rip CD's?

Originally posted by deckard
    I have always ripped CD's by right-clicking CDA files and choosing "Convert To" instead of launching CD Ripper, etc.
    I noticed today I am getting only 2.5x Encoding Speed using FLAC Level 5.
    Is this just a limitation of my drive or is it because I am not using CD Ripper?
    I would think they ultimately use the same engine, but should I not be doing it this way?
    Thanks!
    Hmmm, this is a very odd way to rip a CD. Unless there is some unique reason, one should be using the regular dbpa CD Ripper to do rips.

Comment

• deckard
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by garym
      Hmmm, this is a very odd way to rip a CD. Unless there is some unique reason, one should be using the regular dbpa CD Ripper to do rips.
      I suppose you're right but it just never occurred to me to do it otherwise. If memory serves, when I first started using DMC years ago it was mainly to convert files and I was using Nero to rip CD's. At some point I guess it just made sense to "convert" a CD the same way I was converting files. It's possible I only bought the converter and wasn't aware that there was a stand-alone ripper available (I don't recall if it was bundled). I'm going to try CD Ripper to see if it's any faster, but I can't see why it would be.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by deckard
        I suppose you're right but it just never occurred to me to do it otherwise. If memory serves, when I first started using DMC years ago it was mainly to convert files and I was using Nero to rip CD's. At some point I guess it just made sense to "convert" a CD the same way I was converting files. It's possible I only bought the converter and wasn't aware that there was a stand-alone ripper available (I don't recall if it was bundled). I'm going to try CD Ripper to see if it's any faster, but I can't see why it would be.
        when you use your method, does it provide an accuraterip database check, use secure ripping (multiple passes and CRC comparisons), etc.?

Comment

Working...

]]>