title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Path and Naming questions

Re: Path and Naming questions

Hi Thanks for this it will work for me to for a lot of my music as well. One problem I'm having with classical music is overlong track titles. What would I need to add to the string to truncate the track titles to a fixed length to avoid issues with windows 7

dBpoweramp Guru

hmmm, just looked, in the screen where you enter the naming screen, underneath are all the command to use, and under advanced items there is a MAXLENGTH you can use to make sure file name is not longer than "n" characters.

p.s. you can use either dbpa processing or mp3tag processing to automatically modify the current file names using info from tags themselves. A few mouse clicks and all will be fixed.

With the classical CD's I am ripping now, I am being really careful looking at each track & keeping just the essential information so that issue isn't coming up much anymore but I have a lot of existing rips with really long file names.
    Can I use dbpa processing to fix the file names in my music folder ? I have been trying to find a way to do that for instance I would like to remove all the duplicates from my already named files that look like this

01 Anonymous 4 - ExclamavitAnonymous 4Richard EinhornAnonymous 4Anonymous 4Richard EinhornSteven MercurioRichard EinhornRichard EinhornSteven MercurioRichard EinhornAnonymous 4.
    I know i stuffed up but I'm not quite sure how & didn't realize It mattered until I tried to save a copy of my music folder. I am Re Ripping all of the classical music as even if shortened the titles make no sense. But for pop & jazz just snipping of the redundant information will work fine I just need a way to accomplish it. Regards Beebee

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibbeebee View Post
    With the classical CD's I am ripping now, I am being really careful looking at each track & keeping just the essential information so that issue isn't coming up much anymore but I have a lot of existing rips with really long file names.
    Can I use dbpa processing to fix the file names in my music folder ? I have been trying to find a way to do that for instance I would like to remove all the duplicates from my already named files that look like this

01 Anonymous 4 - ExclamavitAnonymous 4Richard EinhornAnonymous 4Anonymous 4Richard EinhornSteven MercurioRichard EinhornRichard EinhornSteven MercurioRichard EinhornAnonymous 4.
    I know i stuffed up but I'm not quite sure how & didn't realize It mattered until I tried to save a copy of my music folder. I am Re Ripping all of the classical music as even if shortened the titles make no sense. But for pop & jazz just snipping of the redundant information will work fine I just need a way to accomplish it. Regards Beebee
    Yes, just select all the directories with files you want to change in batch convert, select CONVERT, then convert to "ARRANGE AUDIO". Then use the same info I gave you before for the path and arrangement at the top part of that ARRANGE AUDIO convert popup:

1.a. In the path row, browse to: c:\AA Flac Files
    2. in the "arrangment row" click on "set" to the right.

3. In the naming row at the top of the pop up screen enter (copy and paste the following string):

[composer]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

this will give those files the same name/org structure as the ripping you already fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, just select all the directories with files you want to change in batch convert, select CONVERT, then convert to "ARRANGE AUDIO". Then use the same info I gave you before for the path and arrangement at the top part of that ARRANGE AUDIO convert popup:

1.a. In the path row, browse to: c:\AA Flac Files
    2. in the "arrangment row" click on "set" to the right.

3. In the naming row at the top of the pop up screen enter (copy and paste the following string):

[composer]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

this will give those files the same name/org structure as the ripping you already fixed.
    Thanks I've used a quick & dirty solution my son made for me to simply truncate the file names to around 60 characters just a little access program but I will use this for all of the classical files as a lot of them don't make a lot of sense now.

One thing I would like to do is make a small change to this naming string, I would prefer to have this naming convention for multi CD sets by the same artist to be
    " Bach, J.S/ Cello Suites [Fournier], Disc 1 " rather that "Bach, J.S/ Cello Suites [Fournier], Disc 1 / Disc 1 . I hope this makes sense I'm rather tired & starting to ramble best go to bed now Regards Beebee

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks I've used a quick & dirty solution my son made for me to simply truncate the file names to around 60 characters just a little access program but I will use this for all of the classical files as a lot of them don't make a lot of sense now.

One thing I would like to do is make a small change to this naming string, I would prefer to have this naming convention for multi CD sets by the same artist to be
    " Bach, J.S/ Cello Suites [Fournier], Disc 1 " rather that "Bach, J.S/ Cello Suites [Fournier], Disc 1 / Disc 1 . I hope this makes sense I'm rather tired & starting to ramble best go to bed now Regards Beebee
    I assume you've set the setting to show DISC in the album title (in dbpa settings). If so, I think you are saying you don't want the discs to be in separate subdirectories underneath the album subdirectory. In this case it would just be:

[composer]\[album]\[track]-[title]

but if all disc tracks are in same subdirectory, I'd probably use

[composer]\[album]\[disc].[track]-[title]

Thanks it's going to take awhile but it's working beautifully. I took me a little while to figure out what I needed to do but once I got it things are working fine .
    All I have to do now is find a string I'm happy with for pop & jazz.
    I will also experiment with both the other strings you list.
    I still don't have a satisfactory way of handling recitals " one Artist lots of composers" the composer \ Album approach doesn't work that well. I just finish up with a huge collection of composer folders with only a few tracks in them, & the artist centric pop naming conventions don't seem to be that effective either, I seem to often be arranging the folders after the fact. Any suggestions will be gratefully received Regards Beebee

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks it's going to take awhile but it's working beautifully. I took me a little while to figure out what I needed to do but once I got it things are working fine .
    All I have to do now is find a string I'm happy with for pop & jazz.
    I will also experiment with both the other strings you list.
    I still don't have a satisfactory way of handling recitals " one Artist lots of composers" the composer \ Album approach doesn't work that well. I just finish up with a huge collection of composer folders with only a few tracks in them, & the artist centric pop naming conventions don't seem to be that effective either, I seem to often be arranging the folders after the fact. Any suggestions will be gratefully
    received Regards Beebee
    I think pop/jazz is much easier, as typically one wants ARTIST instead of COMPOSER. So,

[artist]\[album]\[track]-[title]

but if all disc tracks are in same subdirectory, I'd probably use

[artist]\[album]\[disc].[track]-[title]

And for compilations I'd put

x:\Compilations (or Various Artists) subdirectory, then:
    \[album]\[disc].[track]-[title]-[artist]

(this way I'd see the track artist in the file name of the compilation album)

I'm beginning to understand how the string's work My current string for pop & Jazz is [Genre]\[artist]\[album]\[track]-[title]. With this I get Genre\Artist\Title Is there a way to get this result Genre\Artist[Title] in Square Brackets like this:
    Alex & Nilusha[Moments In Time]. At present I am changing them Manually but it would be great to automate the process
    I also don't see any difference in result between [genre]\[artist]\[album]\[disc].[track]-[title] or this [Genre]\[artist]\[album]\[track]-[title]
    Last item is there anyway to get batch convert to transfer the cover art & the original extraction log to the new location ?