title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Path and Naming questions

Path and Naming questions

Geetings to everyone! I sent Mr. Spoon a question and was directed to the forums for help. I will always take the long way around the barn so please forgive my lack of brevity? I got dbpoweramp and an Acronova dupliQ working and was able to rip 170+ CDs(2196 Tracks, flac) in a little over 10 hours. I did it in one long batch and paused several times when I was away from the are! I then converted the flac files to mp3(lame) in another folder. I am impressed and thrilled! I have been able to get some of my music to my and my wife's portable players and am listening to music. I consider this first ripping session an experiment and learned some things that I want to change before I start my real rip right rip once undertaking. My collection is virtually all "classical" and I will have dozens of such sessions before I get all of the music archived to flac. My wife has a much smaller collection of modern music and I am sure that as I get the ripping and naming of my music figured out I will be able to get her music archived as well. In the first ripping session I was just thrilled that the dbpoweramp software and the robot worked flawlessly after a few hiccups at the beginning of the run. The standard path and naming structureswere left in place for this first run. I relized that the file names and paths are less than optimal for my puproses. Let me make clear that dbpa did exactly as it was told and performed beyond my expectation and this post is in NO WAY meant voice my displeasure with it! Windows 7 will not allow file names beyond a certain length to be moved or worked on in other ways. I know that I could spend the time with software to manipulate the current flac files I have but in reality these represent less than 5% of the total files I will have to rip and convert so I feel that starting at the beginning is how I will proceed. Since the first experimental ripping session I have tried to change parameters within the program and do further testing. I tried to look on these forums for answers to my question but have had no luck. I attribute this to my ignorance and nothing else! MY ignorance did lead me to choose my username. I have health issues that make time more important to me than in years past so I am forced to asking for help. The smartest most efficient thing I can do is ask the experts.In his responce to me Mr. Spoon suggested posting to the forum and that help would be forthcoming and without cost. I realize that people's time is valuable and although I am ignorant I do not wish to free load! If I were to pay a service to rip and archive my music it would cost money.I am willing to pay someone to help me get the answers I need, I could send money via paypal. I will actually take great pleasure in ripping, archiving and cataloging my own music. Im getting to the point I promise! My inability to correctly tell the program(s) what to do applies both the batch ripper and cd ripper. I have a large number of box sets and I want these to be ripped to a root folder on the C(main) drive or an external drive(?). Then to a subfolder like Beethoven. I want the box sets to be named so they stay grouped by disk number ie, Disk 1 of 157. The name of a track on a classical cd can be liteally 100 characters long so using the track title as an identifier in the file name is not ideal. again I have had no luck figuring out how to tell the sofware what to do. I am certain dbpa has the capability to do what I want? I hope someone can help me but please realize that my understanding of the intricies of dbpa is many factors of magnitude less than most of you. There are many things that I don't know like should I run each "box set" as a seperate batch etc. I probably have not been specific enough in the explaning what I want to accomplish? If anyone wishes to take the time to help me, as a paid "tutor" thru pm correspondance or other wise, please let me know! Do to reasons beyond my control I may not respond rapidly, please dont take this as I lack thankfulness or interest. If you have read this far thanks for your time Captain Zero

Administrator

Re: Path and Naming questions

So you are after:

artist\album\disk x of x\track number - track title (but shortened less than 100)

Hello and thank you for responding! I will try to explain what I wish to accomplish? I am unsure of terminology. I I have created a root folder on the C: drive of the pc at the same level as My Music, My documents etc.. The folder is called AA Flac Archive. The first layer of subfolders below this will be structured by Composer. I grabed a box set called Liszt The Collection. So I want to rip this collection of 34 CDs to AA Flac Archive\Liszt\Liszt The Collection. Virtually all of these box sets have various artists playing the pieces, so depending on how the engineers decide to assemble the metatadata? this may effect the naming. I want to keep the ripped flac files as shallow within the folder level structure a possible because it seems that Windows see the folders and subfolders as part of the file name and the deeper the folder structure the longer the file name? I took a screen shot of the dbpa cd ripper with the first disk read but dont know how to insert it into this post? I am working with dbpa CD Ripper at this point as it would seem the answers would apply equally to CD Ripper and Batch Ripper?

So in this example I would like to rip this box set to the AA Flac Archive\Liszt\Liszt The Collection folder\album&Disk* ( Would I need to create the folders to this level before starting a CD or Batch Ripping session)
    I would like the file naming to be album\composer\track title\track number - track number\disk x of xxx
    I would like to limit the track title to 60 characters or less at this point but if this is a vairaible that can be changed I would like to understand how to do this as I might discover that this may create a name that windows thinks is too long.
    Should I run each box set a single batch when running the batch ripper? I don't necessarily think that because all of the CDs are in a box set that they are some how associated with each other through metadata that indicates each CD as part of the box set title and disk x of xxx ie. Liszt The Collection, Disk x of xxx. This data may only be on the physical box, insert or sleeve.
    In the lower left of the dbpa CD Ripper screen it say path with music as the selection, with 4 options- music, public music, video, public video when clicking the "set" option. Can other paths be chosen like an external drive or the AA Flac Archive folder I created.
    Thanks again for looking at this, I know that dbpa can do what I am wanting! It remains to be seen if I will gain the ability to direct it correct it?

Administrator

album\composer\track title\track number - track number\disk x of xxx

does not make sense, in that each track would be split in to different folders, normally tracks for an album are grouped together in the same folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    album\composer\track title\track number - track number\disk x of xxx

does not make sense, in that each track would be split in to different folders, normally tracks for an album are grouped together in the same folder.
    seems like one would want:

album\composer\disk x of xxx\track number - track title

or

composer\album\disk x of xxx\track number - track title

Hello thanks for responding. I am not always able to be on the pc so my responses will be delayed by a couple of days. I made a typing error in my previous post. Yes I want each track of a CD to be in a folder represented by the CD
    Here is what I think I meant to type album\composer\track title-track number\disk x of xxx and limit the track title name to <60. In my experimental runs I get the tracks in multi levels of folders. For example I would like to have the affore mention Liszt box set in the AA Flac Archive folder in the Liszt subfoler in the Liszt The Collection subfolder then each of the 34 discs be in a sub folder. I have a limited ability to express what I want correctly, as I am simply ignorant! I can't seem to understand which part of the the naming structure/string the program looks to make folders, subfolders and file names. I have no idea on how I can tell the CD Ripper or Batch Ripper that I am going to ripping a 34 CD box set and to rip the next 34 disks to the following place(s)

AA Flac File(folder)
    List(Folder)
    Liszt The Collection(Folder)
    CD 1 (Folder)-
    Track 1
    Track 2
    Track 8
    Cd 2 (Folder)
    and so on
    Nor do I know if I have to creat any of the folders and/or subfolders priorto ripping. The only place I have been able to rip to is the My Music folder. I have yet to get a single CD to go where and how I want it.

Below is how the CD is structured CD 1(Which is CD
    "Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1 in E Flat Major
    1. Allegro maestoso . Tempo giusto
    2. Quasi Adago .................
    3. Allegro marziale ............
    "Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in A Flat Major
    4. ................................
    5. ...............................
    6. ................................
    7. .................................
    "Totentanz"
    8. Adante - Cadenza. Presto .................
    Zierman- Piano
    Boston symphony Orchestra
    S. Ozawa -Conductor
    CD 2
    I am not trying to be problematic and I certainly don't wish to cause anyone frustration in asking these questions or by my responses! When I read your response post(s) I have no idea if that is what I want or not because I don't know what the results of the naming does. If you can see what I want to accomplish based on what I have said I will gladly and apprreciatively try it. Maybe there is more infromation in the metedata of each CD and track than I can see and folders, subfolders and files are being created using this data? Please understand that I am not making dbpa the issue, it is my ability or lack there of that is at issue! I don't think that my thought process for organizing the ripped music is unusual or illogical?
    I have looked for books and material to try to educate myself about CDs, ripping, metadata etc., but I can't find anything that would help me. This is partly why I thought of offering to pay someone to help educate me. I would very much like accomplish the ripping of my music,how I want it, because I would feel good for the accomplishment and I don't wish to pay a ripping service the many thousands of dollars it would cost! But if I can't adequately express my thoughts I am probably wasting board space and peoples time. I wish I could be more clear! Thanks for your time Best Regards

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm sure folks at this forum can help. In the meantime, I'd suggest reading some at these locations. Tagging is a bit challenging when learning, and tagging classical music is the most challenging.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...e_To_Classical
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ide_To_Tagging

OK Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

And when you do finally decide on the path/name/metadata approach you want to use, the good news is that you won't need to create all these directories. dbpa will *automatically* create the directories and subdirectories based on the dynamic naming string you end up using. Bottom line, all this stuff will be much easier than you are thinking.

dBpoweramp Guru

And excuse my ignorance, but why do you want Liszt under "AA" folder? I can't figure that one out....

dBpoweramp Guru

here's a start:

1. In the dbpa CD ripping screen, lower left side, you see a "path" row and a "naming row"

2. in the "naming row" click on "set" to the right.

3. In the naming row at the top of the pop up screen enter (copy and paste the following string):

[composer]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

(note the "[]" at the very end of this string

With this, you'll create the following (automatically) using your example:

Liszt (Folder) --this is the composer from above
    Liszt The Collection(Folder) -- this is the album name
    Disc 1 (Folder)-
    1-title of track (note these will have the actual track titles
    2-title of track, etc.
    Disc 2 (Folder)
    1-title of track
    2-title of track
    etc.

I'm not sure why you want the AA parent folder. If it were me, I'd simply have a parent folder called:

c:\music\flac\
    (note this you will need to create in windows explorer before browsing to it in the "path setting" above.

then under with my string above, under this would show up

c:\music\flac\
    ....................Liszt\
    ...........................Liszt The Collection\
    .................................................. .....Disc 1\tracks.....
    .................................................. .....Disc 2\tracks......

If you wanted this, back in Step 1, you should browse in path to:

c:\music\flac

4. So at this point, when you put in a CD for ripping, the cd ripper screen will show you what the program finds for things like artist, composer, title, etc. With classical, one almost always needs to modify this to correct it. So on the ripping screen (before you rip) you should enter the correct COMPOSER name (watch spelling), correct ALBUM name (note, don't enter disk 1, disk 2, etc. at this point, the album name for a multi disk set should be the SAME for all disks). On the disk number entry at top, enter disk number (and even 1/34, 2/34, 3/34, etc.).

Try this with a couple of albums (not the 34 disk album yet!). See what you get, and how it shows up for you and report back. (and once we have everything working for creating and naming FLAC files, we can deal with making the mp3 versions....this will be the easy part (point, click, go away for a day and you'll have a mp3 library with correct names/tags, etc.
    Last edited by garym; 08-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Hello thanks for responding, I will be working on more experimental rips over the weekend. I am limited on when I can work on the ripping and the pc in general. Why the "AA" Folder? I have over the years had various portable players for myself and my wife, mostly me. So I have a bunch of different folders that are associated with different players ie "My Zune1", "My Zune2", "My C2", "My Ariaz" etc. you could say that I have had poor organization. After discovering dbpa and what it can do I have decided that I want to get all of my music organized and cataloged while I still can. So the "AA Flac Archive" folder is where I want locate all of my ripped flac folders by composer, so under the "AA" folder I will have subfolders labeled as Liszt, Bach, Beethoven etc . I decided on the "AA" so it would be at the top of the folder list. I plan on having multiple external drives so I can have have the archive folder backed up. I will use the "AA Flac Archive" Folder on the pc hdd as the source for creating other folders of different codecs(mp3 lame, wma etc). I dont plan on using the Archive file for listening to but rather the source to create other music files. It seemed that flac was the best format to work from as an archive file format. Thanks again CZ

I am very thankful for you looking at this and taking your time to help me! I will post back after experimenting. It might not be for a couple of days so please don't take the delay in my response that I am not appreciative?! Best Regards CZ

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZero View Post
    I am very thankful for you looking at this and taking your time to help me! I will post back after experimenting. It might not be for a couple of days so please don't take the delay in my response that I am not appreciative?! Best Regards CZ
    Your answer regarding AA folder makes no sense. In any case, please clarify what your objective is. what do you want the outcome to look like. Why do you want liszt to be in AA?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZero View Post
    Hello thanks for responding, I will be working on more experimental rips over the weekend. I am limited on when I can work on the ripping and the pc in general. Why the "AA" Folder? I have over the years had various portable players for myself and my wife, mostly me. So I have a bunch of different folders that are associated with different players ie "My Zune1", "My Zune2", "My C2", "My Ariaz" etc. you could say that I have had poor organization. After discovering dbpa and what it can do I have decided that I want to get all of my music organized and cataloged while I still can. So the "AA Flac Archive" folder is where I want locate all of my ripped flac folders by composer, so under the "AA" folder I will have subfolders labeled as Liszt, Bach, Beethoven etc . I decided on the "AA" so it would be at the top of the folder list. I plan on having multiple external drives so I can have have the archive folder backed up. I will use the "AA Flac Archive" Folder on the pc hdd as the source for creating other folders of different codecs(mp3 lame, wma etc). I dont plan on using the Archive file for listening to but rather the source to create other music files. It seemed that flac was the best format to work from as an archive file format. Thanks again CZ
    OK. I understand the AA folder now. So to repeat what I already noted (with the AA folder added), follow these instructions:

1. In the dbpa CD ripping screen, lower left side, you see a "path" row and a "naming row"
    1.a. In the path row, browse to: c:\AA Flac Files
    2. in the "naming row" click on "set" to the right.

3. In the naming row at the top of the pop up screen enter (copy and paste the following string):

[composer]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

(note the "[]" at the very end of this string

With this, you'll create the following (automatically) using your example:

Liszt (Folder) --this is the composer from above
    Liszt The Collection(Folder) -- this is the album name
    Disc 1 (Folder)-
    1-title of track (note these will have the actual track titles
    2-title of track, etc.
    Disc 2 (Folder)
    1-title of track
    2-title of track
    etc.

Your parent folder is named

c:\AA Flac Files
    (note this you will need to create in windows explorer before browsing to it in the "path setting" above.

then under with my string above, under this would show up

c:\AA Flac Files\
    ....................Liszt\
    ...........................Liszt The Collection\
    .................................................. .....Disc 1\tracks.....
    .................................................. .....Disc 2\tracks......