title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: error ripping to error opening file, check no other program has it open.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question error ripping to error opening file, check no other program has it open.

Hello

I am getting the message "error ripping to ..... error opening file, check no other program has it open [cidecoder::writeidtags]" when ripping with the Multiencoder on a quad core system.

It is occurring sporadically but on most CDs on around 1-4 tracks on the CD

As far as I can tell by experimentation the cause seems to be that the Windows Search Indexing service has temporarily opened the file and this locks out dbpoweramp from updating the tags - re-ripping the tracks almost always works first time.

When I says seems I ripped 6 CDs and all but one had an error on at least one track. I then paused the Windows Search Indexing service and ripped another 6 CDs with no errors. So not conclusive but highly indicative.

I had seem previous advice that security software can cause these symptoms and have excluded the relevant folders form scanning

Any ideas welcome on how to get round this as pausing Windows Search Indexing service seems overkill - a longer delay in dbpoweramp would be one solution but there is no user option to modify this

kind regards

Martin

Administrator

Re: error ripping to error opening file, check no other program has it open.

We shall take a look at this again, the issue can be when ripping a track, it is ripped, it is tagged, then it is retagged to add accuraterip data, we have retry loops which wait to get access to the file, it could be these need making longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We shall take a look at this again, the issue can be when ripping a track, it is ripped, it is tagged, then it is retagged to add accuraterip data, we have retry loops which wait to get access to the file, it could be these need making longer.
    Thanks - this all makes sense as I did notice that there was plenty of metadata in the files where the problem occured.

As a short term workaround I have excluded the rip destination from Windows indexing - in the longer term making the loop wait longer would be better.

All the best

Martin

I am consistently getting this error with CDs on secure rips to FLAC. The CDs are in excellent condition and will rip successfully using J River (secure rip). It also seems to cause tagging errors on repeats of this message. Above does not make sense to me. Can anyone please explain how to cure this error.

Tony

Administrator

Try ripping to a location which is not indexed by other players (ie not Music folder), then after ripping move the files to music folder.

Thank you for your quick response. Just tried a CD and it worked without errors.

Tony

I have followed your suggestion about location.

I have now tried 7 CDs. 5 rips OK. 2 rips with repeated errors. Taking one CD as an example 'Error opening file', repeated x8. 'dDecoder: Write ID Tags'. On tracks 1,3,5,6,7,8.
    So 6 tracks ok, 6 tracks with above error.
    Am I correct in saying the rip was successful, but the tagging was failing on 6 tracks.
    Was the tagging successful after 8 tries?

I also tried reripping a failed CD. It failed again on different tracks.

This is on a well maintained Windows 7 pc, with automatic Microsoft updates and Microsoft security software. Task manager confirms no other program running. I recently upgraded to the latest version of dbpoweramp.

Tony